Windows 7 Sleep Function Freezing

nevica

Hello,

When my computer running (Windows 7 64 bit) tries to sleep I have found that Windows cannot sleep but it freezes the computer and I get white noise from the speakers. The keyboard or mouse do not work. The only thing I can do is do a restart by pressing the restart button. It hasn't actually blue screened so there is no error report and it is hard to pin down what the error is. A restart error is given in critical errors but no more information than that.

I have made sure all of my hardware drivers are completely up to date, checked power settings in the BIOS and turned off various settings in SandyBridge settings. I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

Has any one seen this problem before?

Thanks,

Nevica

Hello and welcome

are you sure that it hasnt created the DMP files? these would be located in %systemroot%/windows/minidump

although the prompt when it reloads may not pop up doesnt mean to say the pc didnt BSOD..
id check the folder first

No, its produces no BSOD therefore no dumpfile. I have checked this many times!!!

Nevica

have u checked within event viewer?
any new hardware installations USB , any changes to configurations??

Yes, I have checked event viewer. Nothing conclusive is shown.
If you would like I can send you the next event I get.

I have had no new USB changes or configurations!!!

Nevica

Last edited:
Hi Mate it's Rich

You've still got that problem was hoping it was fixed as we hadn't heard from you in awhile.

The way you would normally track down power problems is to use the powercfg utility.

If you type powercfg -energy, it will produce a report that is supposed to highlight problems with your system that might be causing problems. You might try that and copy the report to the desktop to read.

There are usually warnings about USB devices, so make note of those but they may not be relevant. I suggest you close all unnecessary programs prior to running the utility.

So, open an Administrative command prompt and type Powercfg -energy

This utility has other switches you might want to try, which are enumerated if you type Powercfg -?

Post back if you see something you think might be the cause.

Hello,

Yes, It brings up 10 to 12 errors. Unfortunately I cannot get to the report file it mentions. It flags an error. When I try and open with notebook I cannot do this. There seems to be a file there of about 20KB but I cannot open it!

It is an HTML file. Copy it to the desktop and open there by double clicking.

Hello,

I cannot add any more attachments because it says I have reached my quota. I don't see how to get around this!!

Nevica

The Report mentions the Windows Update service is keeping your system awake. Can you check Windows update and see what its status might be? Do you need a restart to complete an update?

System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The service has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
Requesting Service wuauserv

Also, have you tried unplugging the Razer Abyssus to test?

Last edited:
Hello,

I have cancelled automatic downloading of windows updates. Unfortunately, if I detach the mouse I cannot control the computer. (I don't have a spare mouse).

Nevica

For what it may be worth, I had exactly the same problem with a 7-month old custom built 64-bit system with 8 gb RAM (2 4 gb cards).

Quite by accident I discovered that the Basic System Information sometimes showed 8 gb or RAM and sometimes 4. The builder replaced both RAM cards with the same as the ones in it and the problem went away instantly.

Hello,

I'm not quite following what you mean. Are you saying you had different types of RAM?

Nevica

No, both RAM cards were identical Kingston cards but one of them had a fault that caused it to be recognized by the computer only intermittently. The technician first tried just reseating them but that didn't correct the problem. So he simply replaced both of them with the same make/model cards as the ones he had originally installed. Since both new cards were free of faults, the computer now displays 8 gb of RAM all the time instead of 4 gb at some times and 8 gb at others.

We can look at the error messages to see if you have what you want. These all have a Plugged in annotation. Does it make a difference if the unit is plugged in or not?

Display timeout disabled
disk idle is disabled
USB selective Suspend is disabled
PCI Express ASPM is disabled

These are all listed under the Advanced power settings and may be what you want when plugged in. You might try changing some of these settings to see if anything changes.

You also have some Timer entries I do not show in mine (see attached). If you notice the Requesting Process ID, 5004, you might open Task Manager and look under processes (all users) or services to see if you can find that PID. If you do not have a column for PID, you can add it by right clicking the column heading. Let us know what the 5004 assigned to. You might also be able to find the PID using Resource Monitor. It might be chrome...

Attachments

• PwrCfg.GIF
    PwrCfg.GIF
    17.3 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom