Windows 7 Sleep Function Freezing

I have now actually had the freezing problem now for quite a while. At first I thought it was a sleep problem because I would come home at night and find my computer in a frozen state with white noise.

I have now had three or four freezes while sitting in front of the computer and all occasions bar one I was watching i-player (streaming) and watching a downloaded i-player program using media player. The other occasion was when playing COD MW2 multiplayer. On these occasions the computer froze and I heard white noise from the speakers.

I have made sure I have the latest drivers from Realtek, Microsoft, NVidia etc.

It seems a rather strange mix of circumstances but perhaps you can put your finger on it.

Nevica

From what you mention, I would think it might be related to a sound or video problem, since the one downloaded video shows the same symptoms.

Have you tried reducing the resolution or sound while doing the referenced activities?

I suppose some other utility you have on your system might be conflicting with something, but nothing in the event viewer?

Hello, I haven't had the freeze problem for a while since I did the following:1. Disable Windows automatic updates.2. I had a message appear about a week ago saying that Windows Aero was running low on virtual memory and that I should switch to the basic Windows desktop (without Aero). This is unusual since I have lots of Graphics card RAM 1.3 GB and 8GB RAM). I disabled windows Aero and didn't have the problem for a week. But I have had two freezes in the space of 24 hours now. The first instance I didn't know what happened, It just froze without the the usual squeelling sound. The second freeze was while streaming I-Player. It froze and I got the usual squeeling sound.I have done another pwercfg -energy and attached. This seems to be pointing towards an NVidia/graphics card problem maybe.Perhaps you can tell me different.Nevica

Attachments

• energy-report.zip
    3 KB · Views: 180
I am not sure the powercfg utility is where you need to look about the freezing. If it is freezing when something related to a sleep state, it might be.

You you do have the same problems whether you are running plugged in or not?

Power Policy Display timeout disabled (Plugged In)
The display is not configured to turn off after a period of inactivity.

Power Policy Disk idle is disabled (Plugged In)
The disk is not configured to turn off after a period of disk inactivity.

Power Policy:USB Selective Suspend is disabled (Plugged In)
The current power policy has globally disabled USB selective suspend.

Power Policy:pCI Express ASPM is disabled (Plugged In)
The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) is configured to Off.

The above are errors you show that I do not. The fact you are running a laptop might be related, but not sure. We both show running a Balanced power plan, but yours shows OEM.

So, check the items listed above and see if will make a difference. Open the power settings and go into the Advanced settings dialog for you plan.

Set the display to turn off, say 10 minutes.
Set the Disk Idle to something like 30 minutes.
The USB selective suspend to Enabled.
The PCI Express-Link State Power Management to Moderate power savings.

These should line you up with me for testing. Remember, the Laptop will have plugged in and not plugged in settings. But these seem to be the only indication of a possible problem in your settings.

You might also check to see if you have any multimedia streaming options that might be effecting your situation.

If none of this helps, we need to rethink and come at this from a different angle.

Did you ever get a replacement mouse to try, or update that driver?

Saltgrass this system is a desktop and not a laptop, just thought I'd let you know.

Saltgrass this system is a desktop and not a laptop, just thought I'd let you know.
OK, thanks. I was looking at the "Plugged in" comments and assumed it was a laptop, but mine shows the same thing later in my report.

I think this problem may now be solved. I remember early on in using Win7 I installed a small app for saving the position of icons on the win desktop. I realised that this may be the culprit of the the freezing problem and sleep problem.

I uninstalled the app and I have not had a single freeze. Only time will tell if its fixed though.

Nevica

Sorry, I forget what the software was. I've deleted it so no way of knowing now.

Nevica

Back
Top Bottom