Windows 7 slow boot with HDD light

handa210

Hi!

After doing an in-place upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium x32 to Windows 7, turning on the computer takes at least twice as long on my ACER Aspire 3810t notebook.
When the "starting Windows" sign and the windows 7 logo appears the HDD LED stops flashing and the led is continuously ON for two minutes, and the hard drive doesn't make any (search) noise.
After these 2 minutes, the LED starts flashing again and the system "works", so i get to the login screen in half minute.
Same problem after recovering from sleep mode...
Any help appreciated!
AH

Ps. I have the most recent drivers installed

Run Event Viewer and look under custom at the administrative logs.. it' probably tells you what is hanging and causing it to wait and time out before continuing.

Also, you may want to check my blogs or google for turning indexing off on your hard drive. I doubt that it's indexing at bootup but indexing causes a lot of disk activity... and most people just turn it off because they rather not wear out the hard drive so fast.

Finally, you may have to do a clean install... upgrading is not that reliable.

Hi!
Thanks for your reply! I see a few errors for the boot-time, amongst them: "The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period." and "Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

Do you see any solutions, or only the clean install remains? (the latter is what i tried to avoid)
Cheers:
AH

I would perform a "clean" install rather than an upgrade. An upgrade leaves hundreds of useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Be aware, you'll néed to re-install all you 3rd party applications.

what do think tblount?

I would perform a "clean" install rather than an upgrade. An upgrade leaves hundreds of useless files on your system and can cause conflicts.

Be aware, you'll néed to re-install all you 3rd party applications.

what do think tblount?

I already said he may have to do a clean install. I guess I'm getting like Microsoft.. when you call their tech support they like to say "you need a new computer" but I just say "you need to do a clean install"

Back
Top Bottom