Windows 8 Slow browsing speed after installing windows 8.1 pro

Ashwinkumar

Hi i recently installed Windows 8.1 pro x 64, in my old PC. Just after installing i installed Bit Defender Total Security 2015 a few other essential softwares and started updating my system from the windows update section. The download speeds were good. And after that i opened the browsers and they are too slow, browsing speed are really bad but download speeds are ok.
I pay for the Bsnl Rs.950 plus tax plan where till the first 8 GB i get 4 mbps download speeds and then unlimited at 512 kbps.
I get an average of 25 kBps download speed( yes i exceeded the 8 gig) but browsing is really slow Google takes a 1-2 minutes to load and mostly get an error message and am asked to retry.

Is it because of some error with my Windows 8.1 or why exactly is this problem happening. And since i use Bsnl i also don't know if this problem is because of them.

I've attached a pic which shows the Occupancy, SNR Margin .. those stuff so hope somebody will let me know where the problem lies and help me solve it.

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

Two ideas spring to mind;

1. I don't personally use bit defender but I know people who have.

a. It uses what they call a two-way firewall which scans internet traffic both coming in and going out. Now that’s very secure and great-&-all but it also slows down your browsing speed.

2. Remove chrome and use firefox instead… chrome is very pretty but it also needs to download a lot of junk adds which firfox can be told to ignore.

To be blunt your speeds are average at best but no windows 8 (correctly configured) is slimmer than windows 7… it’s a safe bet that you have two dozen programs all trying to be helpful and get to the internet for updates at the same time and that will also be negatively effecting your browser speeds but that is also simple to manage by doing all your updates manually.

Two ideas spring to mind;

1. I don't personally use bit defender but I know people who have.

a. It uses what they call a two-way firewall which scans internet traffic both coming in and going out. Now that’s very secure and great-&-all but it also slows down your browsing speed.

2. Remove chrome and use firefox instead… chrome is very pretty but it also needs to download a lot of junk adds which firfox can be told to ignore.

To be blunt your speeds are average at best but no windows 8 (correctly configured) is slimmer than windows 7… it’s a safe bet that you have two dozen programs all trying to be helpful and get to the internet for updates at the same time and that will also be negatively effecting your browser speeds but that is also simple to manage by doing all your updates manually.

Thanks for your reply,
So should i uninstall and remove bit defender completely and check my internet speeds? Or is there any other workaround to do the same with bit defender so my speed isn't affected.

Ok ill install Firefox but you said Firefox can be configured to ignore those junk can you please explain this part in detail so that i'll know how to configure it? Also i tried with internet explorer 11 and get the same shitty browsing speeds.

I don't use defender, as I have already stated so can't help with configuring it.

To be clear; no computer tech worth spit will advise you to remove an anti-virus program unless you intend to replace it with something else like avast or avg.

No I can't configure your system for you because doing that on a forum instead of just looking it up yourself is impractical… My best advise I can give you is what I would do so in this order;

1. Ring your service provider and ask them if your account has been restricted or is there any faults detected on the line… there is little you can do about some git of a farmer cutting the cable with his hole digger but at least you know the issues isn't at your end.

2. Goto http://www.speedtest6.com/ and record a speed test.

3. Turn off automatic updates for any programs… includes; anti-virus, java and specially windows… stop onedrive from syncing files when ever the mood takes it and make any metro apps (like the Microsoft store) ask you permission before going online.

4. Reboot and go back to http://www.speedtest6.com/ and record a new speed test.

5. Disable any torrent download software and remove any 3rd party junk software that claims to be optimising your internet connection… and "yes you guested it" record a new speed test.

6. Go to a mates house (ideally whom is with a different service provider) or some work site that allows wireless internet ie, hotels, mac Donald's café etc and record a new speed test.

The point is that you build up a reliable picture of network speeds based on actual data instead of guessing.

I don't use defender, as I have already stated so can't help with configuring it.

To be clear; no computer tech worth spit will advise you to remove an anti-virus program unless you intend to replace it with something else like avast or avg.

No I can't configure your system for you because doing that on a forum instead of just looking it up yourself is impractical… My best advise I can give you is what I would do so in this order;

1. Ring your service provider and ask them if your account has been restricted or is there any faults detected on the line… there is little you can do about some git of a farmer cutting the cable with his hole digger but at least you know the issues isn't at your end.

2. Goto http://www.speedtest6.com/ and record a speed test.

3. Turn off automatic updates for any programs… includes; anti-virus, java and specially windows… stop onedrive from syncing files when ever the mood takes it and make any metro apps (like the Microsoft store) ask you permission before going online.

4. Reboot and go back to http://www.speedtest6.com/ and record a new speed test.

5. Disable any torrent download software and remove any 3rd party junk software that claims to be optimising your internet connection… and "yes you guested it" record a new speed test.

6. Go to a mates house (ideally whom is with a different service provider) or some work site that allows wireless internet ie, hotels, mac Donald's café etc and record a new speed test.

The point is that you build up a reliable picture of network speeds based on actual data instead of guessing.

Well thanks for your reply!

Fortunately another member helped me solve this issue and this was infact arising from the Antivirus Program( Yes bitdefender)!
This is what i did and it solved my problem speeds are good now!

In Bitdefender goto protection >>firewall>>adapters.
now set network type : home/office
stealth mode : remote
and generic : on
restart your pc and voila everything is perfect again speeds are good!

I pay for the Bsnl Rs.950 plus tax plan where till the first 8 GB i get 4 mbps download speeds and then unlimited at 512 kbps.
My first thought was that your ISP may be throttling your Internet connection at worse than advertised. At least this company, however, will actually let you know what they are throttling it down to. Here in the states, forget it.
Fortunately another member helped me solve this issue and this was infact arising from the Antivirus Program( Yes bitdefender)!
BitDefender was really good in years gone by. Occasionally they seem to release new versions that garner good reviews, but I must say, that I do believe the firewall gives an immense amount of false security. You may want to consider other options vs. this utility. Good thing that your situation is resolved. One of the most common causes of many problems with a PC are still caused by "total security" packages going a bit overboard or malfunctioning due to bad QA. Glad to see the situation is fixed!

Last edited:
Back