Windows 7 Slow login on windows 7

Dark Slivenia

Since I first purchased my Toshiba laptop (running windows 7 32 bit) I have been suffering from exceedingly long login times. My computer sits at the login screen for at least 30 seconds before changing to the welcome screen displayed after login, after that it takes an additional one minute before finally reaching the desktop. I have tried with both a solid colour background and a jpeg, have tried the windows hotfix, have edited the registry key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System with the name of “DelayedDesktopSwitchTimeout" and also tried removing the aero system on the viewing of the desktop, all to no avail.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Dark Slivenia

Check what you have running at startup. Msconfig is the basic tool for this but I recommend you get a ree copy of autoruns from here:

Autoruns for Windows

It doesn't need installing - just run the autoruns.exe

It gives you a comprehensive list of everything which runs at startup with the extra benefit of being able to just uncheck an item to test if you're unsure of deleting it completely from startup. You can then uncheck it later if you need to or, when certain you don't want it remove it altogether.

Oh, yeah forgot to mention; have unchecked everything except for 2 startup process - steam and antivirus software (using msconfig)

Autoruns will give you a fuller picture - try it and see if it shows anything new.

After "finally starting" does your computer work well? Or is it still lagging?

One basic thing could be to defrag your disk. But since you've had the problem from the start, it doesn't really seem the obvious answer. Yet, you might want to take a look at Optimize Windows 7 for better performance. I've used Auslogics Disk Defrag, Disk Defrag - Best Free Defrag Software For Your Hard Drive, it has the option to additionally optimize your files, besides the normal defrag. Use the optimizing option, it might work wonders.

If I remember correctly, Microsoft has had an optimizing software, but I can't get my head to remember what it was. And it's years since I used it, so it may not work with Windows 7.

Of course there's the possibility that, since you've had problems from the start with your Toshiba, there may be some structural problems we're dealing with? And to end with, I have good friend in England, a true mastermind in IT, and his computer = desktop newly built = high power, takes a minute to start. Thus, do we really have a problem? I have my system on a SSD disk, it takes about ten seconds for everything to work - quite fast.

Please give more info about your system, including amount of memory and memory type etc.

My computer works fine once it has started, also I have optimized my computer using similar methods to those you mentioned.
I have 119 GB of hard drive space (SSD) SATA, 4 GB of RAM and using Intel core i3.

It shouldn't be that slow with a SSD disk. It might be a BIOS issue, even a motherboard issue = needs to get warm to work. If I were you, I'd take it to the seller, since it obviously has warranty?

Back