Windows 7 Slow/No Boot and Slow/No Shutdown

pmm

Recently built new PC. Installed Windows 7 RC build 7100 64bit.

Issue 1:
Sometimes boot takes 10+ minutes.
Sometimes won't boot past "Windows is Starting Up" screen.
Sometimes boots in under 30 seconds.

Issue 2:
Sometimes takes 10+ minutes to shut down.
Sometimes Won't shut down past "Windows is Shutting Down" screen.
Sometimes shuts down in under 30 seconds.

I need to try the clean-boot, but this literally was a clean install, not an upgrade, on a newly rebuilt PC. Runs great once I am in...with 2 exceptions...on two occasions Windows 7 froze while I was attempting to load both IE8 and another program simultaneously. All of the drivers are Windows 7/Windows 7 compliant (where available).

PC:
mobo: Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition (straight speed, no OC)
video: EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 1792MB (single card)
memory: Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X PC8500 (BiOS set to 1066mHz) (8GB 2x2x2)
hdd: WD 500GB SATA 7500

Last edited:
Go here and see if the is a warning at the top,

Link Removed due to 404 Error

If there is not, click view performance details in Event log. Entries with an event id of 100 represents boot issues and 200 is shut down issues. Go through them as they might give you an indication of software you have installed that is messing around with Windows.
Do you remember if this has been happening since you installed, or did it start later? Can you think of anything you installed that could be doing this? Ive had this happen with Creative drivers before.

Sorry for all the questions, but........
In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

The exact make and model of your motherboard would be of great help also.
Are you dual-booting?
Are you using the official RC directly from Microsoft?
Did this occur immediately after install?
Do you recall installing any software that may have caused the problem?

Slow Boot

I have a Dell XPS 630 Desktop Quad processor and have exactly the same issue. It was running fine but now all of a sudden is extremely slow, espeocailly on boot up.

Any ideas would be appreciated?

Back