Slow Office Sync with onedrive

jonklaus

I often work with rather large PowerPoint files (embedded videos, etc), and am having a really irritating problem with files that I have synced with OneDrive.

Every time I save these large files, Office first saves a local copy, then proceeds to give an "Uploading to OneDrive" message at the bottom of the screen. If I continue working with the file, all is OK. But if I want to close PowerPoint, it takes *forever* for PowerPoint to finish uploading and close.

Why is this behavior necessary? If I am working with a file saved to Dropbox, I don't get this problem. I simply save and close the file, and then Dropbox does its thing in the background. Is there no way to tell Office not to upload to OneDrive and only to save local copies until the program is closed?

Does the powerpoint file have to also be in the onedrive folder with live-sync on? Could you instead turn live-sync off and just upload the file by manual after you finish with it... I expect the real issue here is network overload but thats hard to say without a LOT more details... good luck with it mate.

Does the powerpoint file have to also be in the onedrive folder with live-sync on? Could you instead turn live-sync off and just upload the file by manual after you finish with it... I expect the real issue here is network overload but thats hard to say without a LOT more details... good luck with it mate.

Thanks, USSNorway, for the advice.

I had also thought about waiting to upload until editing was finished, but the issue is that I work on these files over a several week period on multiple computers. So that workaround isn't really practical.

I don't think that network overload is the problem; when I use my computer at work (a mac), this doesn't happen. If I then turn around and use the laptop immediately on the same network, it does.And the laptop now sometimes does this whole "uploading to OneDrive" thing for a second or two when I am working with a small file like a Word document. This problem also doesn't place dropbox, which just syncs in the background.

I'm happy to share whatever more details will help! Thanks!

when I use my computer at work (a mac), this doesn't happen. If I then turn around and use the laptop immediately on the same network, it does.

Windows can't read what you did on a Mac... does it also bugger up if you use a Windows machine to play with a file then close and open that fine in another Windows machine?

Windows can't read what you did on a Mac... does it also bugger up if you use a Windows machine to play with a file then close and open that fine in another Windows machine?

I'm afraid that I don't quite understand your question. These are Office files (PPT and DOCX). I'm moving between Mac and Windows daily, but don't understand why that should matter in terms of data sync.

I have multiple PCs at home; I'll try to see if its localized to one of them or if its a problem across them all.

Does the error only happen when you go from Mac to Windows or is Windows to Windows also mucking up?

Does the error only happen when you go from Mac to Windows or is Windows to Windows also mucking up?

Oh--I see what you mean. Not only is Windows-Windows mucking up, using the same machine is mucking up. The scenario is as follows: I open the file (created in this same windows laptop) and work on it for a while. Click save. Click exit. Then have to wait forever while an Office dialogue reads "Uploading to OneDrive." I don't understand why I can't just exit the program and have OneDrive upload in the background. That's how it has seemed to work in the post...

Bump--
Here I am again, waiting for 10 minutes for PowerPoint to upload a 300 megabyte presentation with embedded video to Onedrive so that the program will close and I can move on with life. This is a presentation created in Windows, on this very machine. Every time I've added a video and saved, the process has taken longer and longer. My internet connection is strong and reasonably fast. I simply can't understand why I can't close the program and have OneDrive upload in the background. Dropbox does it. Box.com does it. The solution seems to be to dump Onedrive for those services. Pity.

Attachments

• TEMP.png
    TEMP.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 415
Can you go to speedtest.net and post back your download/upload speeds on that laptop?

You're probably right, but OneDrive seems to me to be slow whether it's on a Mac or a Windows machine compared to dropbox or others (GoogleDrive), especially on large files. Lots of my Clients think they have a fast ISP connection, and when running on a dual environment, their Mac is at 6MBPS, and their Windows laptop is at 0.6 MPBS. Sometimes other software or viruses get loose on a Windows machine (more common than Mac as you know), and can drastically slow down or remove Internet access entirely (these are variants of DOS--Denial-Of-Service attacks). You should scan for viruses/malware on that Win laptop...have you done this? If so, and problem persists, go to MALWAREBYTES.ORG and download/run free MALWAREBYTES. Remove any found spyware viruses and repeat your upload test to OneDrive. Also, attempt with a smaller file, such as a 1MB, 5MB, 10MB, 50MB.

I've never personally used the OneDrive very much, though I've had an account for years; most of my big file stuff like your PowerPoints (I'm a Teacher) are on GoogleDrive or Dropbox. Maybe they do have a problem, that we are unaware of.

Cheers!
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back