Small text in Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Software' started by reddog, Feb 9, 2012.

1. reddog

reddog New Member

I am a newby and have been using Thunderbird for my e-mail account. Somehow, Thunderbird was updated to 10.0. Now my e-mail texts are so small that I can barely read them. I downloaded an application that allowed me to increase the size of the fonts in the listing. However, the messages are still small. I tried setting the options to a larger font but that did not work. Two questions:
    Is there some way to increase the size of the text in both the email list and the messages. If so, please provide a step by step procedure.
    Two, can I just remove the new version and download an earlier version of Thunderbird. I don't know what version I was using, but I was perfectly satisfied with it.
    Open to any suggestions. Thanks.

2. Drew

Drew Banned

Or use Windows Live Mail instead. Just a thought.

Drew

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

If you have a mouse with a wheel, try holding the CTRL key and rolling the wheel. There may be other key combinations to do the same thing.

If that doesn't work, Tools-Options-Display has an entry for the default font...

Have you altered the Windows fonts at all?

4. Drew

Drew Banned

Any chance the Zoom Level got changed? Ctrl+0 will put it to 100%

Drew

5. reddog

reddog New Member

I have switched to Windows Live and love it. One question, how do I increase the listing in the subject field. It's now just about a dozen characters. Would like more info.

6. Drew

Drew Banned

Well, terrific... how nice to have advice taken. & I'm sorry, I don't quite get what your saying or asking about the subject line.

Drew

7. reddog

reddog New Member

When listing the e-mails, it shows sender, subject and time. These three take up a very small part of the available space. I would like to expand the information in the subject line if possible.

Thanks so much for your help. It is very much appreciated.

8. Drew

Drew Banned

Ok, I figured out what you are asking. See the picture. Set your cursor on the blue verticle line between the list of E-mails received & the viewing pane (for a selected item). You will get a dbl arrow <->. Hold the left mouse button & drag to the right. This will expand/widen the section in question for you. I wanted to take the photo w/ my cursor as I have descrribed but, that can't be done. I'm sure you'll get the idea, anyway.

Cheers,
    Drew

WLM.

9. reddog

reddog New Member

Windows Live is wonderful. One problem, though. The junk mail blocker is not working. I have tried a couple of solutions which I found online and yet it still does not work. Any suggestions? Thanks

10. Drew

Drew Banned

Have you tried changing the Junk Mail settings?

Drew

11. reddog

reddog New Member

I have the setting on high. That's the only setting I have. The blocked e-mail addresses are listed in the blocked are of the settings but they are not automatically sent to the junk mail folder. Is there a setting for this?

12. Drew

Drew Banned

Well, there is in other mail handlers. I don't / won't use Thunderbird, it may be different. If you are having these kinds of difficulties might serve you to use something else for E-mail.

Drew

13. watson12345

Try this way to change the font size
    Font and font size ("Tools -> Options -> Display -> Formatting -> Fonts..."): Ensure that the "Fonts for" choice at the top of the dialog is set to the language group that you want to change. Thunderbird treats Unicode messages (for example, UTF-8) as being in the same language group as your system. (Thunderbird 3beta does not, so: For Unicode messages (UTF-8), set "Fonts for" to the language group named "Other languages".

14. Jessie Neagle

Jessie Neagle New Member

Press Control+ over the message as many times needed for the message to become readable. Works with other programs, too.

15. iftieaq

iftieaq Active Member

Use windows live mail

16. Drew

Drew Banned

Windows Live Mail or Outlook.com

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo.