Small text in Thunderbird

I am a newby and have been using Thunderbird for my e-mail account. Somehow, Thunderbird was updated to 10.0. Now my e-mail texts are so small that I can barely read them. I downloaded an application that allowed me to increase the size of the fonts in the listing. However, the messages are still small. I tried setting the options to a larger font but that did not work. Two questions:
Is there some way to increase the size of the text in both the email list and the messages. If so, please provide a step by step procedure.
Two, can I just remove the new version and download an earlier version of Thunderbird. I don't know what version I was using, but I was perfectly satisfied with it.
Open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Or use Windows Live Mail instead. Just a thought.

Drew

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
If you have a mouse with a wheel, try holding the CTRL key and rolling the wheel. There may be other key combinations to do the same thing.

If that doesn't work, Tools-Options-Display has an entry for the default font...

Have you altered the Windows fonts at all?

Any chance the Zoom Level got changed? Ctrl+0 will put it to 100%

Drew

I am a newby and have been using Thunderbird for my e-mail account. Somehow, Thunderbird was updated to 10.0. Now my e-mail texts are so small that I can barely read them. I downloaded an application that allowed me to increase the size of the fonts in the listing. However, the messages are still small. I tried setting the options to a larger font but that did not work. Two questions:
Is there some way to increase the size of the text in both the email list and the messages. If so, please provide a step by step procedure.
Two, can I just remove the new version and download an earlier version of Thunderbird. I don't know what version I was using, but I was perfectly satisfied with it.
Open to any suggestions. Thanks.
I have switched to Windows Live and love it. One question, how do I increase the listing in the subject field. It's now just about a dozen characters. Would like more info.

Well, terrific... how nice to have advice taken. & I'm sorry, I don't quite get what your saying or asking about the subject line.

Drew

Well, terrific... how nice to have advice taken. & I'm sorry, I don't quite get what your saying or asking about the subject line.

Drew
When listing the e-mails, it shows sender, subject and time. These three take up a very small part of the available space. I would like to expand the information in the subject line if possible.

Thanks so much for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Ok, I figured out what you are asking. See the picture. Set your cursor on the blue verticle line between the list of E-mails received & the viewing pane (for a selected item). You will get a dbl arrow <->. Hold the left mouse button & drag to the right. This will expand/widen the section in question for you. I wanted to take the photo w/ my cursor as I have descrribed but, that can't be done. I'm sure you'll get the idea, anyway.

Cheers,
Drew

WLM.jpg

Windows Live is wonderful. One problem, though. The junk mail blocker is not working. I have tried a couple of solutions which I found online and yet it still does not work. Any suggestions? Thanks

Have you tried changing the Junk Mail settings?

Drew

Have you tried changing the Junk Mail settings?

Drew
I have the setting on high. That's the only setting I have. The blocked e-mail addresses are listed in the blocked are of the settings but they are not automatically sent to the junk mail folder. Is there a setting for this?

Well, there is in other mail handlers. I don't / won't use Thunderbird, it may be different. If you are having these kinds of difficulties might serve you to use something else for E-mail.

Drew

Try this way to change the font size
Font and font size ("Tools -> Options -> Display -> Formatting -> Fonts..."): Ensure that the "Fonts for" choice at the top of the dialog is set to the language group that you want to change. Thunderbird treats Unicode messages (for example, UTF-8) as being in the same language group as your system. (Thunderbird 3beta does not, so: For Unicode messages (UTF-8), set "Fonts for" to the language group named "Other languages".

Press Control+ over the message as many times needed for the message to become readable. Works with other programs, too.

iftieaq

Use windows live mail

Windows Live Mail or Outlook.com

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.