Windows 10 So I feel fairly dumb but I'm having a hell of a time switching from windows 32bit to 64bit

Reptar

About 2 months ago I built my first computer, nothing insanely special, but enough to replace my dying laptop and play games at half decent settings. I got it with a copy of Windows 8.1, and late at night and in a hurry to get
int.everything set up I didn't do any research and just did windows 8.1 32bit, as I was new to installing an OS and really didnt even understand the difference. It took a few days to realize what I had done once a game I played wouldn't run right and it gave a pop-up message of being on the wrong version was the reason.

Whoops, mistake there, but, oh well I figure, at this point I knew the windows 10 upgrade was coming soon, and I was being super lazy, so I decided I'll just wait for that, again, being new to computers not being pre-made, assuming that I could switch from 8.1 32 to 10 64, again, I was wrong.

So I've had windows 10 32 for a month now, and I've finally decided I want to get this done, and I understand that I need to do a clean install of windows 10 64. I can't seem to get it to work though. I've followed the tutorial so far, I have the windows 10 64bit media creation tool downloaded, and obviously it won't launch, getting the blue pop up of "this app can't run on your pc" so I moved that file over to a flash drive. (No optical drive on the computer yet, was looking to save money and I never really watch dvds on the computer)

Now here is where I'm assuming I've messed up, I've tried restarting my computer and fooling around with the bios screen trying to re-order the boot to make it right, I just can't for the life of me figure out what is actually my USB drive in the list of things, because there are multiple things with USB as part of the name, and nothing jumps out as "flash drive" to me, I think I got it once but then my computer still just booted normal, and thats when I decided to post here, I'm not sure if I did something wrong on the bios screen, or if I downloaded the wrong thing, or have the wrong files on the usb, or am missing a step, but I don't want to just start tweaking random settings that I'm unsure of what they do because I don't wanna mess it up lol.

If you need pictures/screenshots of any of my menus I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread and can quickly take a pic/type some info of whatever to give you info

Thanks in advance, so far I'm loving windows 10 despite using the wrong version hahaha

Quick update - I think I figured out how to launch from my USB drive specifically, I got the boot screen to give me a "Please remove all media and other discs, press any key to restart" message on a black screen, when I hit any key comp boots fairly different, I get a black screen then a quick grey, and thenafter a few seconds I just get taken to the windows 10 login screen like normal, and then if I sign in everything works normally. This leads me to believe that I have the wrong files on my flash drive maybe

Last edited:
This leads me to believe that I have the wrong files on my flash drive maybe
Kinda.. :)
You were almost right.. Ok what you need to do is download the 32bit Media creation Tool as of course your running in 32bit.

Start the tool up but make sure you click 'create media for another machine'. You'll then see options where you can create the download for a 64bit Iso file version. I'm running in 64bit but if you check my screenshot you can see I can create a 32bit iso version:
win 10.jpg

Once you've downloaded the Iso you can use this free tool to pop it onto the USB drive ( or simply burn the iso to DVD):
Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

You'll need to enter the bios as you know and change the boot order so that your machine will boot straight from either the USB or DVD.
Any problems post back.

Back