Windows 10 So we won't get a free License

Micky Balladelli

Looks like we won't get a free license.

We're either condemned to live as Insiders, with everthing that that means.
Or rollback.

???

So what do people think?

Your license will be free as long as you stay with the Insider and keep testing whatever they have. I personally went back to 8.1 and reserved my copy. Right now I only have the one hdd and want a stable version.

I want to be able to upgrade with my Windows 8 disk and Serial Number, I guess if they don't allow that i'll have to reinstall Windows 8 and upgrade.

Mike

You can stop being an insider if one wishes but only if your copy of Windows was originally legit. If you were originally pirating Windows then your only option is to remain an insider as it will not be possible to reserve a copy of the full licence.. Trying to stick with one build will not be possible as the builds are all built with time bombs so one will have to keep updating to keep using Windows 10.

Hi

Well my original build was legit, but I didn't upgrade it to Windows 10.
I did a clean install to a dual boot setup with Windows 8 so it was on another hard drive.

When I wanted to partition that drive to make the Windows 8 drive smaller it screwed it up and had to format it to make it bootable again.

So now I have an empty 250 Gig drive that I want to install the final Windows 10 on.
I'd like to do it without reinstalling Windows 8 but if I have to, I have to.

What I'd like to see is the option to do a clean install from my Windows 8 serial number, or by putting in my Windows 8 DVD for confirmation along with my serial number.

I do have both a Windows 8 DVD and a Flash Drive to restore it to the way it was when I got it.

I suppose that I could clone the drive to the other hard drive but I'd still have to stay in the Insider program, unless I upgrade.

The thing is that it sounds like everyone is going to be in the insider program in a way.
If everyone is forced to do all the upgrades, drivers and all, with no option to say no, then it may not be much different then being on the slow ring.

Maybe I should just stay in the program and on the slow ring.

I'll consider just reinstalling Windows 8 on the other drive, I don't know if that will work to dual boot as it did when I added Windows 10 to Windows 8?

I've asked this question a few times but never really gotten an answer.

Mike

Last edited:
We are not (imo) being totally kept up to date on the exact future of our forthcoming upgrades.
I am getting neurotic, in my old age, and I can see another "possible" here.

from Kemical's post "If you were originally pirating Windows then your only option is to remain an insider as...."

Scenario:
MS let all be well for about 6 months, or less. Then they stop the insider program. A huge percentage of pirates gone in one swoop. LOL

Hi

Well I guess I'll think about reinstalling Windows 8 tommorow.

But do I then have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 to go to 10, or can I go directly from 8 to 10?

Mike

Hi

Well I guess I'll think about reinstalling Windows 8 tommorow.

But do I then have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 to go to 10, or can I go directly from 8 to 10?

Mike

I had to go and upgrade to 8.1.

The reason I had to was to get the updates for reserving my copy of Win 10.

Last edited:
I do not believe that there is a direct upgrade path from Windows 8 to Windows 10.
As far as I can see, Microsoft has repeatedly stated that the Free Upgrade to Windows 10 will be for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 (Update) meaning sort of Windows 8.1.1 if you want to think of it that way.

What about the people that wee unable to upgrade from windows 8 to 8.1. I remember seeing some posts on that when the update came out.
Joe

can I go directly from 8 to 10?
You must have upgraded the os to it's latest update so with Windows 8 you need to have updated it to 8.1:

Windows 10 prep work
If there’s one thing you need to make sure of, though, it’s that your PC is up to date. Windows 7 users must be running Service Pack 1 to enable the update, and Windows 8 users must have upgraded to the latest version of Windows 8.1. You’ll also need to enable your Windows 10 reservation. Look for the tiny Windows icon down in the right corner of your taskbar, and click it to launch the Windows 10 reservation app. Our earlier story walks you through the quick reservation process.
How to upgrade to Windows 10: What you need to know

Back