Windows 7 SOLVED where is the print screen utility?

bob24

I am sure I have used a facility at some time to allow me to highlight a small part of the screen and make a screen shot of it but I can't remember how to do it?
If I put print screen in to the search on the task bar it shows a program called 'print screen' but if I click on it I get a dos box for a second that then disappears again?
Should this stay up and how do I get it to stay up if it is?

Also ALT+PRINT SCREEN on your keyboard will give you the current window on your clipboard and not just the entire desktop.

Thank you Mike. I assume the picture is a screen shot? Is it windows 10? I have windows 7 and no such page but I put snipping tool into the search box and got it.
Thanks for the prompt reply
I have also found it in accessories
Again thank you for the reply.

Last edited:
I see you have marked as solved. For interest, you should have a key at the top of your keyboard "prntscr" it works with the Shift key.
It will place a copy og the whole screen in the clipboard, which you can then paste into "Paint and edit.

fwow. I have the Snipping tool pinned to my taskbar - very useful.

Yes thanks Dave I have that key but I wanted a small part of the page to put into another forum I am in for making 3d objects.
How do you pin it to the task bar?

If I click on it in accessories there is an option to pin it to the task bar would it still be there after I shut down and restart? I will do it and find out

Last edited:
As already stated the built-in snipping tool works great in most cases. If you need something more advanced I would suggest SnagIT which does cost money and does screen recording and a lot more editing tools.

If you're looking to do videos another great tool is OBS Broadcaster which is free.

no thanks, I just wanted to get a small window of part of the screen to send to someone as an aid. Thanks anyway.

It would.

Just remember, when you use it, you must first select the mode (Top Bar)