Windows 7 SOLVED where is the print screen utility?

bob24

I am sure I have used a facility at some time to allow me to highlight a small part of the screen and make a screen shot of it but I can't remember how to do it?
If I put print screen in to the search on the task bar it shows a program called 'print screen' but if I click on it I get a dos box for a second that then disappears again?
Should this stay up and how do I get it to stay up if it is?

1520866489446.png

Also ALT+PRINT SCREEN on your keyboard will give you the current window on your clipboard and not just the entire desktop.

Thank you Mike. I assume the picture is a screen shot? Is it windows 10? I have windows 7 and no such page but I put snipping tool into the search box and got it.
Thanks for the prompt reply
I have also found it in accessories
Again thank you for the reply.

Last edited:
Yes its a screenshot of the Windows 10 start menu/search bar. I am glad that helped!

I see you have marked as solved. For interest, you should have a key at the top of your keyboard "prntscr" it works with the Shift key.
It will place a copy og the whole screen in the clipboard, which you can then paste into "Paint and edit.

fwow. I have the Snipping tool pinned to my taskbar - very useful.

Yes thanks Dave I have that key but I wanted a small part of the page to put into another forum I am in for making 3d objects.
How do you pin it to the task bar?

If I click on it in accessories there is an option to pin it to the task bar :) would it still be there after I shut down and restart? I will do it and find out :)

Last edited:
As already stated the built-in snipping tool works great in most cases. If you need something more advanced I would suggest SnagIT which does cost money and does screen recording and a lot more editing tools.

If you're looking to do videos another great tool is OBS Broadcaster which is free.

no thanks, I just wanted to get a small window of part of the screen to send to someone as an aid. Thanks anyway.

Yes thanks Dave I have that key but I wanted a small part of the page to put into another forum I am in for making 3d objects.
How do you pin it to the task bar?

If I click on it in accessories there is an option to pin it to the task bar :) would it still be there after I shut down and restart? I will do it and find out :)
It would.

Just remember, when you use it, you must first select the mode (Top Bar)

Back