Windows 10 [SOLVED]Windows 10 and IE Favorites

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
I am trying to sync IE favorites between two PCs I own. Absolutely no luck. I found a way using a Registry hack, but results stink. I have a "master" PC that I want to sync the other PC to. And I have been able to complete a sync to the second PC, but the Favorites end up in alphabetical order! Totally useless.

What I have found is that the Favorites folder on my "master" PC has the Favorites in alphabetical order, but somehow IE knows the order I want and my Favorites bar has the Favorites in the order I want, not alphabetical. But, when the favorites get "synced" to the second PC, they end up in alphabetical order. IE on the second PC doesn't know the order I want.

Does anyone know how the IE on the "master" PC keeps track of the order I want? It must keep a "key" somewhere that converts the alphabetical order in the Favorites folder to the order that I have set in IE.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards, Jim

Hm, can you export your IE favorites on your "master pc" to an html file, then import them to IE on your second file?

It's been a while since I checked if IE had that feature.

Sent from my Note 4 using Windows Forum mobile app

LoBo: Yeah, I can export and import, BUT, the same issue exists, the Favorites are in alphabetical order on the second PC.

helpifican: I don't want to use Edge.

Thanks for the replies, Jim

Ok how do you feel about installing Firefox or Chrome on the Master PC, using a Firefox/Gmail account, sync up, then go to second PC with the browser you choose, sync account and your bookmarks should sync according to how you last had them on the Master PC.

Hawkeye,
I'm not sure about the order of the favorites in IE11 when they are "synced" and come over to a 2nd PC. I have always done this manually via a flash drive or via OneDrive or something. I think helpifican is onto something when you use your Microsoft Account on both PCs, I believe I saw my Favorites come over in alphabetical order on at least 1 of my other W10 machines (I have 5 total) through the LAN. I'll check further, and get back with you. Other than the Microsoft Account syncing of folders (Favorites being one of them), I'm not aware of any way to change that order except going into Favorites via clicking on the Gold Star-->Add Favorites-->Organize Favorites, and then use the NEW FOLDER, MOVE, RENAME, & DELETE buttons to change your folder arrangement manually.

Lobo might be on to something about importing into an HTML editor and using HTML tools to reorder your folders the way you want. Then delete your favorites on both computers using Windows File Explorer. Import your changed Favorites folder back into the Master PC with you logged into that PC with your MS Account, and then log back into your 2nd PC also with your MS Account, and let them Sync up. This might take awhile, such as several hours if your have a lot of stuff on your OneDrive (I have 0.36TB on a 1TB space), and if you also have Dropbox or any other Cloud accounts to sync. I haven't really tested this per se, but I think that one of these 2 methods might work for you.

Let us know if you find a better solution!!:)
Best of luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :usa:

Ok how do you feel about installing Firefox or Chrome on the Master PC, using a Firefox/Gmail account, sync up, then go to second PC with the browser you choose, sync account and your bookmarks should sync according to how you last had them on the Master PC.

Yeah, I have that option, but I switched to IE to get better battery life. I have gotten to like IE and I don't want to switch. Thanks for yur reply.

Regards, Jim

Edge is a nice browser, no doubt about that. If I think of anything else to help ya man I'll post it.

Hawkeye,
I'm not sure about the order of the favorites in IE11 when they are "synced" and come over to a 2nd PC. I have always done this manually via a flash drive or via OneDrive or something. I think helpifican is onto something when you use your Microsoft Account on both PCs, I believe I saw my Favorites come over in alphabetical order on at least 1 of my other W10 machines (I have 5 total) through the LAN. I'll check further, and get back with you. Other than the Microsoft Account syncing of folders (Favorites being one of them), I'm not aware of any way to change that order except going into Favorites via clicking on the Gold Star-->Add Favorites-->Organize Favorites, and then use the NEW FOLDER, MOVE, RENAME, & DELETE buttons to change your folder arrangement manually.

Lobo might be on to something about importing into an HTML editor and using HTML tools to reorder your folders the way you want. Then delete your favorites on both computers using Windows File Explorer. Import your changed Favorites folder back into the Master PC with you logged into that PC with your MS Account, and then log back into your 2nd PC also with your MS Account, and let them Sync up. This might take awhile, such as several hours if your have a lot of stuff on your OneDrive (I have 0.36TB on a 1TB space), and if you also have Dropbox or any other Cloud accounts to sync. I haven't really tested this per se, but I think that one of these 2 methods might work for you.

Let us know if you find a better solution!!:)
Best of luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :usa:

Yeah, I tried copying the Favorites file on "master" and pasting to the second PC. Same problem, the Favorites show up in alphabetical order. I think the problem is that the Favorites file on the "master" is also in alphabetical order. But, the "master" IE remembers the order that I want and shows the Favorites the way I want.

Yeah, I could manually change the order, but, I have maybe 1,000 Favorites, Not practical to manually change the order.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards, Jim

OK, success! Sort of hit or miss procedure. Eliminate Favorites everywhere on PC-2, then shutdown PC-2. Then delete Favorites from OneDrive on master PC and on line. (Master gets Favorites from Users.) Then reboot Master. Then copy folders I want to sync to Master One Drive. (Including the Favorites from User.) OneDrive then showed file loading progress. When the file loading had stopped, I shut down Master and started PC-2. PC-2 then showed file loading. When loading stopped, I started IE. Favorites were exactly the same as on the Master.

Thanks for the help.

Regards, Jim

Haha had to jump through some hoops there but got er done! Glad it worked out for you bro!

Glad you found a solution that worked better!:D I think the key here is deleting the favorites from the OneDrive on the Master PC as I had thought. ;) There are still some tricky things going on with W10 folder synchronization that we still all don't understand yet. Interestingly enough, this is the same sort of thing you have to go through with MacBooks and iPads when you are running into syncing issues.

Thanks for posting back your final solution and sharing for our other forum users!:up:

Cheers!
BBJ

Back
Top Bottom