Windows 7 Some users displayed on Welcome Screen, others not displayed

craig69

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1.

Have 7 standard users created in the User Accounts. Only 5 user icons displaying on welcome screen. All 7 users are required to and do have passwords set.

Creating a new user does not add that new user to the welcome screen.

Deleting a user does not move one of the other users onto the welcome screen..it reduced the number of user icons to 4.

All users have valid \User directories and if I force the login prompt instead of icons, they can login successfully.

This happened about a week ago and may be the result of some software my son installed. Not sure.

There is not an "Other User.." icon...just 5 valid user icons with 2 missing.

Any help appreciated.

- Hank.

I've googled myself crazy over this and the solution you recommend does not match my issue. I do not only have the last logged in user displaying, I have 5 users showing with two missing and no "Other User" icon present.

I appreciate you replying though.

If you open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and delete the default entry. All user accounts should then show up on the welcome screen. If it doesn't work however post back and we'll see what else can be done.

I saw that thread also. I did not have a DEFAULT user profile in there. Only the three Windows required profiles along with the legitimate users I do have (including the ones that do not show).

OK! Have you tried this

you can do this through secpol.msc
1. Click Start->Run->secpol.msc
2. Navigate to Local policies -> Security settings
3. Find the entry "Interactive Logon: Hide last user..." and set it to activated.
4. Reboot the machine

Have you tried System Restore? Asking your son what he did and what he installed would be helpful :)

Last edited:
OK! Have you tried this

3. Find the entry "Interactive Logon: Hide last user..." and set it to activated.
4. Reboot the machine

It's windows home premium. No local security policies. secpol.msc does not exist and when I fire it up through MMC, there is a blank policy.

OK! Have you tried this

4. Reboot the machine

Have you tried System Restore? Asking your son what he did and what he installed would be helpful :)
It's windows home premium. No local security policies. secpol.msc does not exist and when I fire it up through MMC, there is a blank policy.

Did some Research Try going to this Link: Don't display welcome screen at logon (Computer) :eek:

Last edited:
Solved.

Set the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \System]
DontDisplayLastUserName value to a 1.

Rebooted.

Set the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \System]
DontDisplayLastUserName value back to a 0.

Rebooted.

All icons are back.

Solved.

Rebooted.

Rebooted.

All icons are back.
Congratulation and great work in successfully resolving your own issue and thanks for updating your thread with your solution as it's likely to be very helpful to other members and visitors with similar issues.
Hope to continue to see you around the forums and thanks for joining our community.
Regards
Randy

Thanks, Craig69, for writing the solution. It worked perfectly for me too.

I just want to tell others with the same problem that an even faster method worked for me: Logging off instead of rebooting.

So the revised, faster method that worked for me is:

1. Set the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \System]

2. Log off and log in again. (You will have to type both the user name and password yourself. This is only temporary.)

3. Set the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \System]

4. Log off.

All icons are back.

Thanks again, Craig69! You saved my day!

Back