Windows 7 Sort By extension Function

karimmaster

I am really surprised that this function (sort by file Extension) didn't add to windows 7 :eek:, So when I use xp I used small free tool called cpext but when I try to add it with windows 7 nothing happen

So I need this tool or any alternative do the same job (add option to sort by extension)

Pls help me

karimmaster, did you install cpext in xp compatible mode ?

What do you mean "search by extension" ? For example type in the windows explorer search box ".jpg" and it'll find all your jpgs in the folder. Also, right-click => Sort/Arrange by type => it'll group your files by their extensions.

@cybercore

At first Thank you very much for your reply,

did you install cpext in xp compatible mode ?
The cpext is not program it just to files first .dll and other .inf and to install it just right click on .inf and click install and when i make this the error message came out with "Installation Failed"

What do you mean "search by extension" ? For example type in the windows explorer search box ".jpg" and it'll find all your jpgs in the folder. Also, right-click => Sort/Arrange by type => it'll group your files by their extensions.

I just want to add another column in windows explorer to SORT files by EXTENSION not TYPE because File type group file extension under one type

EX: avi,wmv,asf File type consider them on file VIDEO so it is hard to know which files are avi and other extension

Thanks

Unfortunately that is not an option in the Choose Details section.

In Folder Options, do you have hide file extensions for known types checked? If so, uncheck it.

Could you upload a copy of the cpext .dll and .inf file?

Or if it contains more, the whole package.

Last edited:
I could not get it to work under Windows 7.

It placed all the correct entries in the registry, but failed to show up

What OS did you have this working on?

In the readme.txt, only, Windows XP (x86/x64), Windows 2000 (x86), Windows 2003 (x86/x64) are supported.

I'll try it on my Windows Server 2003 and see if I can get it to work there.

It did work on my Windows Server 2003.

You could e-mail the author and see if he intends to support Windows 7.

I really do hope that John makes a new version of this fabulous utility which is compatible with Vista and Windows 7.

I don't understand why Microsoft don't include this functionality to start with. I can see the value of sorting by "type" for those who are less computer-savvy, but for those who actually do appreciate the difference between video formats and so forth, it really would be extremely useful to be able to conduct a more fine-tuned sort. *sigh*

Back