Windows 7 "Sorty By" Is not remembered in folder

LightningHunter

Let me start off by saying that I have disabled auto arrange in my version of Windows 7, so I can drag folders anywhere I want. However, I've noticed that "sorty by" is not remembered. For example, lets say I drag a folder somewhere off the grid like show in this screenshot (Test1 is off the grid):
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Then, when I no longer want the folder off the grid, I go to "sorty by", and "name", to make it look arranged like this:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

The problem is that if I close the folder now and re-open it, it will look like the first screenshot again. In other words, once I drag a folder off the grid, it will permanently remain that way. Sorting the files is forgotten every time I close a folder. This is VERY annoying. Is there any way to fix it?

Last edited:
Nobody? If nobody can answer this, than is there at least a better option for sorting folders? Perhaps a 3rd party application? It really bothers me how Windows 7 sorts the folders. Nothing ever seems to be sorted correctly. Auto-arrange doesn't work well on or off, and I want to be able to drag folders around and do what I want with the manually and have windows remember my last settings...

Nobody? If nobody can answer this, than is there at least a better option for sorting folders? Perhaps a 3rd party application? It really bothers me how Windows 7 sorts the folders. Nothing ever seems to be sorted correctly. Auto-arrange doesn't work well on or off, and I want to be able to drag folders around and do what I want with the manually and have windows remember my last settings...

...I want to be able to drag folders around and do what I want... Well here's your problem, you want to do what YOU want, NOT what Microsoft wants you to do. Whose computer do you think it is, anyway? What do you think this is... XP?

Despite what people say, Windows 7 is really, really bad. If you want to see a real nightmare try having 600 folders to sort like me. Every prior version of windows was great at organizing files and folders, while Windows 7 is all about impressing the Facebookers of the world with bright colors and useless neat-o effects. The only way I can use Windows 7 without getting completely frustrated (I only get really frustrated now) is to turn all the flash off and use 3rd party software, that while free, is 100x better than the "best thing Microsoft has ever done". I've replaced windows explorer with Link Removed due to 404 Error. Not only can you sort by letters of the alphabet (like in that WAY better OS Windows XP), but the search not only works, but what takes Windows 7 3 minutes literally takes 3 seconds. The guy (get that... 1 person, not a whole team of people without a clue) is working on a new version that I hope will 100% completely replace windows explorer. You should also get Classic Shell so you can replace that terrible Start Menu that only adds to how bad Windows 7 is.

Last edited:
Is there a way to make Cubic Explorer open all windows in a new window? I'm not a fan of tabs. I like to drag and drop across folders. Also, Cubic Explorer doesn't seem to allow me to drag files around off the grid (or even at all). This is kind of a step backward from what I want it to do.

I wish I could just get explorer to act exactly like how XP did...

Auto arrange per folder is not supported and is only achievable via a registry hack. ( Link Removed - Invalid URL ) Unfortunately, it is a known issue with this hack that the previous state is not remembered. Also, it will not work with LIST or DETAIL view.

Maybe a different reg hack will work. Try this one:
Windows Explorer Auto Arrange - Disable - Windows 7 Forums
There are 11 pages on that post and I didn't read them so go through them and see if people liked it.

Thanks for the reply Zvit, but unfortunately the 2nd hack you posted has the same symptom. The location of icons are forgotten if I try to align them back to the grid. I guess I'll just have to get used to the windows 7 auto-arrange... It's better than having the "sorty by" option forgotten every time I close a folder.

I have to say, I find myself agreeing with sirloyne more and more. I've been using Windows 7 for two weeks now, and I sometimes run into these ridiculous quirks and limitations while doing heavy copying/modifying of files and folders. It causes major frustration, and I end up spending forever trying to fix the issue (and forget what I was originally doing in the first place). Nobody should ever have to stop their work for an hour at a time just to fix some stupid windows limitation. I thought the whole point of naming the operating system "Windows" was because it was great at what the name implies: navigating the system using windows. Windows 7 fails at that. I certainly wish Windows XP was as good as Windows 7 64-bit at using modern video cards and allocating large amounts of memory. I would switch back in an instant.

Another major annoyance is the stupid security permissions. Every time I create a new folder, it automatically defaults to giving me no permissions until I right click, go to properties->Security->Edit, and change them manually. It's ridiculous to have to do that every single time I want to rename/move/delete a new folder...

Curse you, Microsoft.

Back
Top Bottom