Windows 7 window location, size not remembered

RudyP

I upgraded Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate with no problems - except for an annoying problem that the window size and location is not remembered for an app on the desktop when I restart the program. Even when I simply minimize the program, e.g. IE or Outlook, when I restore the program after minimizing, the window is all over the place. What can I do to force the desktop to remember the configuration of the window?

Try Control Panel > Folder options > Restore Defaults. If it doesn't help, create a new user account.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've never had this problem, but a lot of people have. And it looks like there is no 1 common fix working for all.

Can we get a straight answer - Windows does not remember window size and position - Bug or by design? Workaround?

ShellFolderFix Remembers Window Locations in Windows 7 - How-To Geek

technet said:
1. Open Registry.
2. Find the following keys.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU

3. Delete the keys.
Please check if the issue persists.
If it reoccurs, I suggest that you use ShellExView.

Now, to my amazement all the other windows are fine. But Outlook will not remember anything unless I use the Menu>File>Exit selection. But then when I minimize and restore it is all over the screen. It does keep the same size, however. Even when I maximize and use the File>Exit it does not open maximized and at random locations. It would be amusing if it weren't so frustrating. I must minimize and restore Outlook 30 times a day.

Aha! I figured it out. When I upgraded to Windows 7, the Outlook setting of Hide When Minimized made the Outlook taskbar button blank. So each time I clicked on the Outlook button I was starting a new occurrence of Outlook. This did not show up because the hidden running occurrences (not the word, but I can't remember what-u-call-it) did not produce a warning or notification that one was already running like some programs. So this is a problem that should be addressed. The Hide When Minimized can make a total mess when running Windows 7 and the option of combining the taskbar buttons is selected... the default I think.

Back