Windows 7 Sound lagging shortly when CPU is in use

huana

The sound lags when I for example scroll in Internet Explorer, it seems like the computer is giving priority to other processes than the sound process, I say this because the lag only occur the first time I scroll on a newly opened web page, the next time the information is cached. In programs though, like Ableton Live, the sound will lagg for a millisecond everytime I do something that requieres the CPUs muscles, even though its very small things.

I've tried three different sound drivers from Realtek (also the one Windows installs automatically)
I've tried setting the priority of the sound process.
I've tried changing the sound quality from "Studio" to "CD" in the RealTek Control Panel.
I've tried disabling all the "sound effects".

Nothing works...

------

Software:
Audio Driver Version: 6.0.1.5854
Audio Controller: HD Audio
Audio Codec: ALC885

Hardware:
MacBook Pro, 2,93GHz
4GB RAM

Have not found info on the soundcard, I guess it's integrated in the motherboard, can't find which motherboard they use but I'm pretty sure it's a Nvidia nForce Motherboard, as it appears on the "Device Manager" under "System Devices" as NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management.

Anyone have the same problem and a solution?

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums,

Actually, your sound card should appear under Sound, Video and Game Controllers.

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit edition and did you try downloading the Windows 7 driver from Realtek's site?

Before installing drivers, try turning off you anti-virus software temporarily.

Also, when the sound lags, right-click on the taskbar, choose task manager and under the processes tab how many processes are running.

Also go to Control Panel > Device Manager and see if NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management has a yellow flags beside it.

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums,

Actually, your sound card should appear under Sound, Video and Game Controllers.

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit edition and did you try downloading the Windows 7 driver from Realtek's site?

Before installing drivers, try turning off you anti-virus software temporarily.

Also, when the sound lags, right-click on the taskbar, choose task manager and under the processes tab how many processes are running.

Also go to Control Panel > Device Manager and see if NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management has a yellow flags beside it.

Hi,

The only thing that appears under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" is "Realtek High Definition Audio", I thought that was the software?

I forgot to mention, I am using x64, hence the problems I guess. I've tried the drivers designated for Win 7 and they did not work either. The problem existed before I installed my anti-virus program, do you still think it's worth a shot installing the drivers once again, this time without the anti-virus on?

The NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management did not have a yellow flag, BUT I found a yellow flag under "Other Devices" > "Coprocessor".

If a coprocessor is what it sounds like then could the abscense of the drivers be the fault?

Kind regards,
Huana

Huana,

Did you download the specific driver (and Codec) for the ALC885?

From this site:
Realtek

I've never seen the coprocessor entry, but I'm assumming it's a MAC driver

I downloaded one file under "High Definition Audio Codecs" > "Vista, Windows7 Driver (32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file)" (version R2.25) which I assumed was drivers/codecs for my comp. I mean it works ok, but are you telling me there are something else I need as well? I do not see anything called ALC885 in their downloads directory?

re

If everything is working fine, there's no reason to download anything else.

I'm sorry, I was being fuzzy, the sound problem still is there, by "ok" I meant that it works but it laggs a lot, like every 20 seconds approx.

Can you identify the chipset?

It should look something like this:

ALC880/ALC882/ALC883/ALC885/ALC888/ALC260/ALC262/ALC861 HD ...

Try downloading on of these freeware utilities that will grab that info for you

Download System Information Viewer
Download PC WIZARD 2008

Okey this is what I found out, first I tried "System Information Viewer" and got basically nothing, then I tried "PC WIZARD 2008" and got this (under "Multimedia" > "Device Audio"):
General Information :

Manufacturer : Nvidia Corp
Version : 1.0

Output Stream : 4

Input Stream : 4
Bidirectionnal Stream : No

64-bit support : Yes

Mode : AC'97
Manufacturer : Realteck
Codec ID : 10EC0885
Codec Revision : 1.001

Did not find ANYTHING about ACL885 etc!

I would suggest this download:

Realtek

I actually tried this like one week ago, one problem with it though. The install went smooth all the way to were windows says "windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software" so I click "Install anyway", and I wait 5 sec and the prompt comes again. I click "Install anyway" again but it keeps coming back! How do I solve that matter?

Try this:

Go to Start > Rub and type gpedit.msc

2. Enable and Ignore Code signing for drivers policy under User Configuration --->>
Administrative Templates > System > Driver Installation > Code signing for drivers

Try this:

Go to Start > Rub and type gpedit.msc

2. Enable and Ignore Code signing for drivers policy under User Configuration --->>

Administrative Templates > System > Driver Installation > Code signing for drivers

I did exactly this, enabled "Code signing for device drivers" and then "When Windows detects a driver file without a digital signature:" IGNORE.

But the message keeps coming back! I've restarted my comp several times and still the same result. Another bug is that when the message comes up "windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software" and I choose to "Do not install", the message comes back up again! Same thing if I press "Install anyways".

This makes me have to go to the taskbar and manually end the installtion process... Something seems to be wrong? I think we are close and this might be the last thing to figure out!

Furthermore I must say I am very thankful and impressed by your quick, informative and helpful answers, thank you very much so far, sir!

Kind regards,
Huana

I was a little confused when I saw your first post stating it was by Nvidia, but then also listed as a Realtek driver.

I found a forum where the members said to locate the Leopard DVD and locate the drivers from that disk in the bootcamp directory there is drivers directory.

Can you locate that CDa nd give it a try?

I was a little confused when I saw your first post stating it was by Nvidia, but then also listed as a Realtek driver.

I found a forum where the members said to locate the Leopard DVD and locate the drivers from that disk in the bootcamp directory there is drivers directory.

Can you locate that CDa nd give it a try?

I have the CD and have located the RealtekSetup.exe -file, installing it now

I have the CD and have located the RealtekSetup.exe -file, installing it now

still lagging when I'm scrolling, using the CPU in other words...

How do we solve the previous problem regarding the windows prompt that won't go away? I think it's worth a shot, no?

Ah,

I thought we had it. Did it accept the new driver?

How about the compressor entry, is that still listed in Device Manger with a yellow flag?

Ah,

I thought we had it. Did it accept the new driver?

How about the compressor entry, is that still listed in Device Manger with a yellow flag?

The driver installed from the Mac OS X CD worked, but not the AC 97 driver, which I think is the driver we need.

The Coprocessor is still yellow flagged... I have no clue what it does, or does not?

What entries in Control Panel Device Manager still have a yellow flag. Is there 1 under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers?

Was the copprosser on the CD also?

What entries in Control Panel Device Manager still have a yellow flag. Is there 1 under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers?

Was the copprosser on the CD also?

Only the coprocessor has a yellow flag.

The coprocessor just exist in the "Device Manager", there is no specific driver for any coprocessor on the CD.

Back