Windows 7 Sounds cut short & muffled

Boppa

Have experienced muffling of the sound when attempting to view news videos via CNN.com. Also note that the sounds are cut short when playing, for example: The sound that should play when I log-on would be "Welcome to my castle, stay for a spell". These sounds play just fine if I go into my Windows XP, as do all the others, including viewing those news videos. In Windows 7 mode this is no go as the log-on sound becomes "Welcome" (which begins to die before it finishes). Have noted that many of the sounds in the Windows 'Media' folder indicate a duration of 00:00:00???? The 'FLUSH' is 00:00:05 and 'CTMELODY' seems to be the longest at 00:00:12. Believe these durations are the same in either OS media folder. As stated, all sounds seem O.K. under Windows XP. My full version of Windows 7 is another matter. Sounds via MusicMatchJukebox, WMP, Creative Media player, etc. are no problem but it sure doesn't seem to like the MEDIA folder stuff nor those videos on the Net. Of course, the software and hardware are the same as this is a dual-boot system (that is, that software that is compatible with '7' as some of my software is not and as such is only installed on 'XP')

Hello, and welcome to the forums :)
Have you tried checking for the latest driver updates for your soundcard?
Post the make and model of your audio card here and we'll help you out :)

Hello, and welcome to the forums :)
Have you tried checking for the latest driver updates for your soundcard?
Post the make and model of your audio card here and we'll help you out :)
It is a Creative Sound Blaster (PCI) X-Fi Xtreme Audio - Model SB0790. Have previously D/L'd the drivers from their site and installed same. Unfortunately, nothing changed. THANX!!

Try uninstalling the driver in Device Manager, and restarting Windows.
Windows will automatically install a generic driver, then we'll see if the problem persists.

Try uninstalling the driver in Device Manager, and restarting Windows.
Windows will automatically install a generic driver, then we'll see if the problem persists.
It would appear that this solved the problem. Uninstalled the three items listed under 'Sounds, video, etc.' which included the entry for the Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Audio. Prior to restart the system had quickly reestablished the 'High Def Audio Device(s)'. After restart the SB X-Fi was automatically detected and reactivated. Hopefully, all will remain well. Seems a bit strange as I believe that some of the internet videos had sound at one point. Perhaps other videos were utilizing Adobe Flash which may have required updating. THANX!!!!

Back
Top Bottom