Windows 7 Source Game Freezes

Hello all--

I am having a problem with my source engine games (Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 are those I have tried so far). The game starts up normally, I can join games and play with no video or sound issues for about 2 minutes, at which point the game freezes up and becomes totally unresponsive.

What is really strange is that sometimes I can ctrl-alt-delete to get out of the frozen game, and then alt-tab back in, and it works for another 2 minutes or so and then locks up again. Sometimes the sound loops, and sometimes it is silent.

The details:
Windows 7 RC (7100) x64
AMD Athlon X2 6000+
2GB RAM
nVidia 8800GTX, 185.85 drivers
USB Headphones
USB Mic

Things I have tried, with no success:
Reinstalling the game
Running in windowed mode
Disabling multicore rendering in game settings
Running "mat_queue_mode 0" in console to force disabling of multicore rendering
Disabling onboard sound in BIOS
Updating DirectX
Windows Update

I don't think I have a hardware problem: these games run fine under Vista and XP on my system, and furthermore I can play Crysis on Win7 for as long as I want with no crashes. The issue seems to be localized to steam games using the source engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

I seem to have fixed it, in case anyone has the same problem. I alt-tabbed out of the game and manually changed processor affinity to CPU 0 only using the task manager. Not clear why this worked, considering that disabling multicore rendering in the game didn't, but oh well.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.