Windows Vista SP1..Yea or Nay?

rickory

Extraordinary Member
I would like some opinions.... Since April 08,when I purchased a refurb. Gateway M6307, I have been using Vista without SP1. After reading all the problems reported after installing SP1 I decided not to install until the problem reports abated. Let me also say I have had no problems whatsoever after learning about and using Vista. I have no desire to screw that up. Here are a few questions....
How do I know I don't already have SP1? Was it around in Feb.08 when this box was refurbed and Vista installed.
What prep. should I do before download & install?
Where should I download from? Is it best to be hardwired?
Is it worth it?? I have had No problems!! The Box is fast & error free!!

In my opinion SP1 is well worth installing.. Although if you don't feel the need to install it there's no reason why you should..
Check out this link for all you ever wanted to know about the SP1 update:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

The best way to install the service pack is straight after a fresh install of vista and before any drivers are installed. This is because some of vistas kernal gets rewritten ...

The forum contains a link for the standalone download here:
http://winvistaforums.com/windows-vista-support/13735-sp1-download.html

It's better to install it this way as you retain some control over the install process as apposed to leaving it to the update utility..

Please post back if you have any further questions...:)

Hi Kemical,Thanks for the reply. I read thru all the material. The procedure I see for a single computer install is to do it using Windows update. You suggested it's not necessary to install but advise to do so.Do you know of any forward looking dis-advantage of not having SP1 installed? ..Like up-dating to W7. My computer is totally up to date regarding drivers,bios and windows update. It just seems to me SP1 has a high potential to cause more problems then it resolves. I would like to hear from just one person who had a error free install using windows up-date which is MS suggested process!!
I simply want to make a informed decision. Right now I see nothing that would change my opinion that the risk is greater then the reward.

I can see your point as I think many SP1 issues are caused by installing it via the update utility. As I said above, if installed after a fresh install of vista then no problems should be encountered but I'm only speaking from my experience of course..

Thanks again, Kemical. Your experience and that of others is really the bottom line. I realize the complexity and scope of variables that MS faced with SP1 and Vista. However,the install is not user freindly with many more chances for having a problematic box then a more efficient one,when done by the average person like me. Aside, I respect your opinion and thank you once again.
Bottom line for me is not to do this until it is urgent.

Yes Kemical is right, the preferred way is to install any service packs after a clean install of an OS. I myself installed it through windows updates when it was made available. I have yet to see any adverse effects from the update. I bought my PC back in late February of 08 and service pack 1 was released shortly after my purchase. So I did not have my system for a year and then updated service pack. As we remembered downloading sp 1, 2, and 3 for xp, thats exactly how most of us installed those service packs after having it for a year or more, right from the auto update center. Most of us if not all of us had no ill effects from doing so. In my opinion it's worth downloading vista's sp1, it helps fix some known issues and vulnerabilities that exist. Just like MS is working on sp2 for more of the same. So what ever you decide post back with results....good luck.

Thanks Bassfisher6522. Over the last few days I unstalled the trial verson of MS office and installed Open Office. Now I see SP1 is available to me through Windows update. Before that it was not. I am going to install a new verson of bios that I see is available and think about SP1 after that install. This is the only computer I have. It would be a serious problem should something go haywire.Thus I am going to perhaps, extremes to make sure the box is ready. I appreciate both your opinions and will let you know in a few days how it all went.

Back