Well here it is Feb. 22 and the Win 7 SP1 has been finally been released to us "unwashed masses".
I had a saved Clonezilla image of my Win 7 install laying around in case Mike had steered us wrong last month.
I had a lot of confidence in Mike so I installed the "leaked SP" at that time after making the image.
Sorry Mike but I tend to hedge my bets.
Anyway I've been using the leaked version since then and have had no issues.
As time went on more evidence appeared to further support that the leak was genuine.
This provoked a lot of lively and entertaining discussion.
So today I dusted off the pre SP image and restored it to install the "official" SP1 release through Windows Update process.
I initially was going to D\L the SP from MS direct so I could compare the MD5 with the leaked version but MS is only
offering a large DVD .iso at this time.
I didn't want to waste the bandwidth so I figured it would be quicker to go the Windows Update route.
After installing 13 updates and IE 9 RC update I installed SP1.
The SP1 update took about 20 minutes with a total D\L'd file size of 61 MB.
Below is a snippet of showing version info.
On top of the image is the "leaked" install from last month.
The bottom shows todays install of the official SP. View attachment 11707
The version info in red is identical on both.
Just like my initial install of the "leaked" SP I disabled my Avast! pro's realtime protection
and stopped all unnecessary programs before running the updates.
Thanks Mike you hit a home run.