Windows 7 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Download Available

I just finished installing and everything appears to work OK. A few things actually seem to load faster than before.
Joe

I just installed it in my wife's computer via Windows update. It seemed to work just right. I'm sure she'll let me know if there's anything wrong.

I noticed a slight speed increase when I installed the leaked version on mine.

Something I noticed early on (last month when I installed the leaked files).
I run a tool at boot called Bootracer that reports my time to boot to a functional desktop.
Before installing the SP I could depend on an average boot time of about 35 seconds.
For several boot after installing the files boot time stretched to up to a minute before finally settling down to
around 35 seconds again.
I suspect that the SP somehow messed with the prefetch files and it took awhile for Windows to readjust.

Super Sarge said:
I noticed a speed increase in installing updates after installing SP1
There's nothing in SP1 to cause any noticeable performance gains. So it is likely something else was corrected during the reboots, or other updates. In fact...
fjgold said:
I suspect that the SP somehow messed with the prefetch files
Actually, it resets it so the first couple boots and user sessions could result in slower boot times for Windows and slower load times for your regular programs until the prefetch is recached again.

Are you talking about Order BootRacer - Test your Windows boot speed
But did you? I did, started my stopwatch and that thing is really off from actual time.
Thats the one, it runs every boot.
My average is around 35 seconds to desktop.
I measured 43 seconds average with stopwatch.
These numbers are vastly improved over my XP-SP3 results on the same machine.
XP took almost 2 minutes to boot with the same startup items both bootime and delayed.

I have several tray items that are delayed until after my desktop is up and running, items not needed by windows but I find valuable, like CPU and HDD temp monitors and a utility that reminds me of my relatives birthday.
I use a tool called Startup Delayer for that.

When Bootracer reports my desktop is fully functional I can use it with no problem even when the other delayed startup items are loading.

@Digerati
You are right, I don't see any improvement in boot times after the SP install.
Thanks for the verification of the prefetch being reset.
That explains the slower boot times for the first few boots.
I also used to see slower boot times for several boots after using Win 7's builtin defrag utility.
I guess for the same reason.
I now use the free Auslocic defrag and it doesn't impact boot times.

That explains the slower boot times for the first few boots.
Once you settle into a routine, it will optimize.

Also, note that boot times are not an automatic indication of performance. As long as there are no problems during boot, the performance once fully booted is what matters. With today's computers having lots of memory, and with programs in memory but not active using 0% CPU resources, starting the programs you regularly use when Windows starts is actually a time saver in the long run.

Once you settle into a routine, it will optimize.

Also, note that boot times are not an automatic indication of performance. As long as there are no problems during boot, the performance once fully booted is what matters. With today's computers having lots of memory, and with programs in memory but not active using 0% CPU resources, starting the programs you regularly use when Windows starts is actually a time saver in the long run.
You're probably right there but I think I'll leave things as they are.
@Veegertx, thanks for reminding me.
The Bootracer site shows a version 3.1 I'm using version 2.3, time for an update.

It is important to take notice if suddenly boot times change, but trying to eke out every last second may result in you having to wait longer for other things to happen as they have nothing pre-loaded to speed that process up.

It is important to take notice if suddenly boot times change, but trying to eke out every last second may result in you having to wait longer for other things to happen as they have nothing pre-loaded to speed that process up.
Actually the only tray items that aren't delayed are my A\V, power management icon, sound control and the stock Win 7 non-animated network indicator.
The delay items are DreamBreed Birthday reminder, process explorer, Virtual clone drive, Network-Activity- indicator, Notebook Hardware Control and CoreTemp.
NHC and CoreTemp are realtime monitoring apps.
Network-Activity-Indicator is an animated tray item like the old Vista and XP one.
The birthday reminder alerts me of upcoming birthdays 10 days in advance.
Virtual Clone Drive simply starts the VCD daemon.
Process Explorer is a Task Manager on steroids with a tray item.

I also run a shortcut to "C:\Windows\System32\w32tm.exe"/hide ""/resync"" ""/nowait""
to force Windows to update my system time at each boot since Windows doesn't seem to want to
consistently do it on it's own.

I use a tool called Winx32 to create a script that is then run 30 seconds after my desktop is fully functional.
Startup Delayer provides the delay.

None of these delayed apps are vital, they are just items I value in my system tray.
In total I have 10 items in my tray.

In this case there were no new features. It was mainly a roll up of critical updates. I think there was some change to memory management.
Joe

In this case there were no new features.
Not exactly true. If you read back through this thread, you will see the new features added - though admittedly, they are not important for most people.

I´ve read in other forums that SP1 is a compilation of all hotfixes uptodate and is not so necessary to install besides causes some troubles. I didn´t install at all for in case. Thanks anyway. Regards.:confused:

Most of what you said is true however there are a few items that are not in hot fixes, Yes some machines have had problems but that is very small percentage. If you are scared because of this small percentage and won't install,why would you do any updates? Some small percentage of users have problems with monthly hotfixes. Just make a backup prior to installing SP1. I also belive SP1 allows for removal in program features in case it does not work for you.

Only a tiny few had problems updating and of those tiny few, the vast majority were easily corrected. Bottom line is there is no good reason to not stay current.

Back
Top Bottom