Windows 7 Speccy RE : Product key

davidhk129

Ran Speccy first time ( free edition).
Under Operating system, it show the Serial number but it is not the same one shown in my Acer Identity Card.
It does not show my Product key either.

I was under the impression that Speccy will show both.
Have I misinterpreted?

Ran Speccy first time ( free edition).
Under Operating system, it show the Serial number but it is not the same one shown in my Acer Identity Card.
It does not show my Product key either.

I was under the impression that Speccy will show both.
Have I misinterpreted?
The serial number is not the same as the product key and you are correct. To get the product key use Magic Jellybean Keyfinder or AIDA64. AIDA64 has support for diagnostics and is a general information and benchmarking program, while Magic Jellybean has been around for a long time and simply supplies license data from your system.

The serial number is not the same as the product key and you are correct. To get the product key use Magic Jellybean Keyfinder or AIDA64. AIDA64 has support for diagnostics and is a general information and benchmarking program, while Magic Jellybean has been around for a long time and simply supplies license data from your system.

Thank you for replying.
I need to clarify what I had said.....
1. I know serial number is not the same as product key.
I was referring to the serial number I have on my Acer ID card, and it is not the same as the one shown by Speccy.
2. Someone said Speccy can help locate product key. Hence my question.

Addition question : My OS is an OEM version. I thought, for years, that keyfinders will not be able to locate an OEM product key. Am I wrong?

Thank you.

Thank you for replying.
I need to clarify what I had said.....
1. I know serial number is not the same as product key.
I was referring to the serial number I have on my Acer ID card, and it is not the same as the one shown by Speccy.
2. Someone said Speccy can help locate product key. Hence my question.

Addition question : My OS is an OEM version. I thought, for years, that keyfinders will not be able to locate an OEM product key. Am I wrong?

Thank you.
Acer's serial number is likely for the unit and not Windows.. The serial number you are looking at in Speccy is generated by Windows every time a product key is installed on the system. Even on OEM systems, the product key is defined for the Windows installation process. The licensing terms between retail and OEM license keys are different. The product key for any copy of Windows can be identified, but the transfer of the license from one system to another is restricted by the End User License Agreement (EULA).

Acer's serial number is likely for the unit and not Windows.. The serial number you are looking at in Speccy is generated by Windows every time a product key is installed on the system. Even on OEM systems, the product key is defined for the Windows installation process. The licensing terms between retail and OEM license keys are different. The product key for any copy of Windows can be identified, but the transfer of the license from one system to another is restricted by the End User License Agreement (EULA).

Thank you for the explanation.
I would consider this question of mine has been answered.

Back
Top Bottom