Windows 7 SSD Free Space Issue

Nasho23

I have Win 7 Pro 64bit installed on a SSD 250GB along with my Programs and Data on a second SATA Hard Drive.
Recently when I looked at my C: SSD from My Computer, I noticed the Used Space Bar was Red and I only had a small value of Free Space left (13GB). I used CCleaner to clean up Temporary Files Etc, Emptied the Recycle Bin. This action did not have much affect on increasing Free Space.
I left the issue for a few days as I had a lot of other work to do.
Yesterday, I thought I would have another look at this issue, as I was thinking I might have to upgrade to a 500GB SSD.
Low and Behold, when I checked the Drives in MY Computer, my C: SSD was now Blue and showing 108GB Free Space.
I am struggling to understand how this could have happened as I had done nothing to contribute to this change to Free Space.

Has WIN 7 Pro got some built in Archiving Feature I am not aware of that could have compressed the Files on C: SSD.

Can someone please throw some light on this issue.

Good one Cindy! I like this little App to see what's on my drive. There are several free apps. I like this one. It's pretty simple and user friendly
Here's down load from Major Geeks whom I trust not to put any PUPs on you. I hate those dang PUPs:angry_smile:
Download WizTree - MajorGeeks

Did you by chance clean up your restore points using CCleaner?
System Restore can use up a lot of space on your hard drive.
You may be correct, but I was not aware of that happening and I can see my Manual Restore point of 19/05/2016 is still there. The only odd thing that has happened since I did the Disk Cleanup, is the appearance of an additional Folder ( $Windows - BT 19/05/2016 ) on my C: SSD. This was not present when I was Cleaning Up. From what I have read, this relates to WIn 10 Upgrade. Viewing Installed Updates shows not recent Updates Installed. So, how did this Folder get there and Why, as I have no Intention of installing WIN !0, while I have a Perfect, Stable, WIN 7 operational. I am not Stupid, I do not go looking for Trouble. So it seems, something connected with this added Folder installed on 19/05/2016, has had an affect on increasing the Free Space - Weird.

Hi If you use the software I suggested, you can post it here and some one will look at it!
Cindy was just suggesting a place you could have regained the free space.;)
Capture48.JPG

Have installed WiuzTree, but it has no method of Saving to a File that can be uploaded to this Forum.
I have studied it and all seems well and I am happy with Current Free Space. The only thing that concerns me is how it came to be increased without me doing anything myself.

Hi Friend! Here's my thoughts. Who knows why our PC's try their best to keep us annoyed and guessing what they are going to pull on us next :rofl: My PC does things all the time that I can't understand. I doubt if you will find a reason for the two different free space reports.
You might want to keep a close look on the free space. I know this much; which is very little, if you don't have enough free space on your hard drive, you PC will do lots of strange things. I'm sure you are aware of that.
Thanks for the up date. Maybe other members will have more replies latter.
PS Welcome to the forum!!

Give us a better description of your problem like what operating system you're running with computer your have how big is your hard drive and like I much as increased without you knowing it but I mean just give us a little more history
nasho23
and welcome to the room

Last edited:
Sandbox::::: Did you read my initial Post. I am a Comp Tech, but sometimes the best of us get beaten and need another Brain to work with.

And that's what I'm doing trying to give it a little bit of extra brain by trying to help I'm sorry to say but I don't see anywhere that your a computer tech on your initial post it's okay no problem I must've missed it good luck

Hi Nasho23. Welcome to Windowsforum.com.
I have many SSD's and haven't experienced what your talking about.
Maybe the SSD was half way though Trim "garbage collection" at that precise time you checked. Maybe.
Good thing it has righted itself.

Hi, Just a thought here,

Recently when I looked at my C: SSD from My Computer, I noticed the Used Space Bar was Red and I only had a small value of Free Space left (13GB). I used CCleaner to clean up Temporary Files Etc, Emptied the Recycle Bin. This action did not have much affect on increasing Free Space.

Did you leave 'my computer' open when running CCleaner? perhaps refreshing or close/open my computer would have updated the used/free amounts reported.
I think that happened to me once so i was just wondering.
Yes, The upgrade files are huge, I am not sure how the ( $Windows - BT 19/05/2016 ) file would have increased free memory.
Could be simply overlooking a refresh?.
I don't mean to complicate things.... again just a thought.

All try to see if you can delete the window old and the window BT if it there is still in your system I will give you quite a bit space back disk cleanup will take care that

Hi Everyone! The OP seems quite happy with his free space. He's just wondering why is showed different.:D
I don't know???:rofl: Computers are weird!! That's my best answer!;):(

I have checked my Hard drive for free space before. Done some cleaning and checked it again. After the cleaning, I had less free space.
Go figure. Computers were made to drive man kind crazy!:rofl: I've quit worrying about it. My free space is always changing and I don't have a clue some times why it changed.
My biggest free space gains happen after deleting all restore points, like Cindy suggested.:up:
Thanks @Sandbox

All try to see if you can delete the window old and the window BT if it there is still in your system I will give you quite a bit space back disk cleanup will take care that

If you do that, it eliminates the option to roll back.
There is nothing then to roll back to.

If you do that, it eliminates the option to roll back.
There is nothing then to roll back to.

Quite correct, unless you have backups and/or installation media, then the point is moot.
I Beta tested Win10 and then upgraded from 8.1 to 10.
A few inner tweaks to WX and am very impressed with how 10 performs,
especially when it comes to RAM managment, its footprint is the best yet.
I'm happy the issue is resolved(I did understand that Holdum333)

Hi Everyone! The OP seems quite happy with his free space. He's just wondering why is showed different.:D
I don't know???:rofl: Computers are weird!! That's my best answer!;):(

Weird can also mean undefined, as i was trying, through the process of elimination,
establish one thing to possibly rule out, that is, a mis-reporting due to old(unrefreshed) information.

I certainly do not claim to 'know it all', In fact, less can be better.

I have only been around computers since(excluding the abacus) DOS 2.0 and Windows =>3.1.(can't recall)
All's I wanted to do is rule out a possibility, that's all.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ~Albert Einstein.

@pi314 ;);) I have only been around the computer world sense 2004 when I had stage 4 colon cancer and my great daughter got me playing Texas Hold-um because the chemo kept me awake at night. That's where my user name comes from. I'm still a night person as you can see.
I do not claim to know any thing, but what little I have learned from others I love passing forward!
I meant nothing negative with your reply. It seems you are a old member here.
Welcome back to the forum!
I'm also happy that the OP is happy!:rofl:;) I guess we all are happy!:beer_mug:Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom