Windows 7 Stall on installation

Julie

I am currently running Windows XP 32-bit. I am attempting to install Windows 7 64 (yes, my processor is a 64). When I boot from the disk, I get the initial black screen and the loading files bar, the moving dots and windows logo. Then an artsy blue screen and nothing else. I can move my mouse around freely, but there is nothing to click on and neither my hard drive nor optical drive do anything from then on.

I've looked around for an answer and have seen something about changing BIOS settings and about having only 2GB of RAM installed (I currently have 4). However, considering my PC's apparent opposition to me getting inside it and due to my utter lack of BIOS knowledge, I'm rather reluctant to try either of these options without some guidance!

Does anyone have some clue why my installation is hanging so early on?

Thanks!
Julie

Hi Julie,

The stall on the screen with the little (bird??) also happened with the release candidate and RTM. It seems to be just a weird install thing for Win 7. No disk activity, no system hang it just sits there for a while seemingly doing nothing. Weird stuff but nothing is wrong.

BTW I have had this happen on clean installed with full product versions. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Any idea how long "for a while" is? Perhaps I was just being overly impatient, but I did wait for . . . hmm, at least two or three minutes?

Heh, maybe that does make me sound a little impatient!

Thanks very much for your response, I'll try it again and this time walk away at the blue screen so I don't get impatient! :p

I did not time the period but it was uncomfortably long. I forced the power off the machine twice as I thought it was hung. I just walked away for a bit and it came back. I thought the processor may have been chewing on something but it was many minutes for a Core i& 975 extreme to be chewing on something. Microsoft missed on the UI during this wait IMHO

Well, I have returned, this time with a shiny, new, exciting operating system! You're right, I just had to wait a little longer than I did before. That'll teach me!

Thanks so much for your advice, I'm so glad I didn't do something drastic like remove RAM.

Now I have to work out how to change drive letters. Could it be any more hidden?!?

Thanks guys! :)
Julie

I am currently running Windows XP 32-bit. I am attempting to install Windows 7 64 (yes, my processor is a 64). When I boot from the disk, I get the initial black screen and the loading files bar, the moving dots and windows logo. Then an artsy blue screen and nothing else. I can move my mouse around freely, but there is nothing to click on and neither my hard drive nor optical drive do anything from then on.

I've looked around for an answer and have seen something about changing BIOS settings and about having only 2GB of RAM installed (I currently have 4). However, considering my PC's apparent opposition to me getting inside it and due to my utter lack of BIOS knowledge, I'm rather reluctant to try either of these options without some guidance!

Does anyone have some clue why my installation is hanging so early on?

Thanks!
Julie

Hi Julie,

I had the exact same problem with an Intel DP965LT motherboard, 4GB RAM, and Intel Q6600 CPU. Nothing seemed to work until I downloaded and installed the latest BIOS for my motherboard. After that, it was a whole new experience. The installation of Windows 7 flew through. Maybe this information will help someone else as it sounds like you've got it up and running after waiting a very long time for the installation to complete.

Back