Windows 10 Start Menu & Action Center

donb2012

Extraordinary Member
I have set the display to turn off after 5 minutes if there's no activity on my computer, but when I come back to use my computer after a while I noticed that the start menu and action center doesn't open when I click on them. Any ideas why?

Hi,
is this a laptop or a desktop please? And exactly which version of W10 are you running? The current version is v1703, b15063.296 (there are newer ones). This is the CREATORS UPDATE released last month in April. You can use the keyboard combo <windows+key and R-key> to bring up the Run box; type in WINVER and this will bring up the W10 version box on your screen where you can identify the exact W10 version you have running on your computer now. Make/Model of your computer would also be helpful.

Has this problem occurred recently, or has it always done this since you've owned the computer? Are you the original owner of this computer or did you buy it used or refurbished? These types of questions need to be answered in general for us to better assist you.

Generally, speaking, this type of problem occurs more on laptops than on desktop PCs, but it seems to happen right after you do a major OS update (such as the CREATORS UPDATE, or the ANNIVERSARY UPDATE from last July). These updates can often cause inadvertent changes to your Power Management Plan settings, so it's best to check those and make sure they are set to what you want; for example, you can set your laptop or desktop to never sleep, or to sleep for a longer period when on AC power or battery such as 15 min., 30 min. 1 hr., 5 hr. etc. which you are no doubt familiar with.

The other 3 causes of this type of problem are in order:
1.) Virus/malware infection; have you scanned for viruses using your primary AV? Scan with Malwarebytes for spyware viruses?
2.) Have you installed any new programs recently that might have caused the problem to begin?
3.) Hard drive failure; have you tested your hard drive and RAM memory sticks? If not, take a look at my free TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar for a step-by-step on how to test your hardware. From there, after backing up all your personal data to external media, you can perform a W10 reset or W10 recovery from factory Reinstallation media or paritition to eliminate the error.

If you suspect #2 above, have you attempted SYSTEM RESTORE yet to undo the installation of that program yet? If so, did you get a positive or negative result?

Post back answers to our questions and we'll do our best to assist you.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi,
is this a laptop or a desktop please? And exactly which version of W10 are you running? The current version is v1703, b15063.296 (there are newer ones). This is the CREATORS UPDATE released last month in April. You can use the keyboard combo <windows+key and R-key> to bring up the Run box; type in WINVER and this will bring up the W10 version box on your screen where you can identify the exact W10 version you have running on your computer now. Make/Model of your computer would also be helpful.

Has this problem occurred recently, or has it always done this since you've owned the computer? Are you the original owner of this computer or did you buy it used or refurbished? These types of questions need to be answered in general for us to better assist you.

Generally, speaking, this type of problem occurs more on laptops than on desktop PCs, but it seems to happen right after you do a major OS update (such as the CREATORS UPDATE, or the ANNIVERSARY UPDATE from last July). These updates can often cause inadvertent changes to your Power Management Plan settings, so it's best to check those and make sure they are set to what you want; for example, you can set your laptop or desktop to never sleep, or to sleep for a longer period when on AC power or battery such as 15 min., 30 min. 1 hr., 5 hr. etc. which you are no doubt familiar with.

The other 3 causes of this type of problem are in order:
1.) Virus/malware infection; have you scanned for viruses using your primary AV? Scan with Malwarebytes for spyware viruses?
2.) Have you installed any new programs recently that might have caused the problem to begin?
3.) Hard drive failure; have you tested your hard drive and RAM memory sticks? If not, take a look at my free TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE here: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar for a step-by-step on how to test your hardware. From there, after backing up all your personal data to external media, you can perform a W10 reset or W10 recovery from factory Reinstallation media or paritition to eliminate the error.

If you suspect #2 above, have you attempted SYSTEM RESTORE yet to undo the installation of that program yet? If so, did you get a positive or negative result?

Post back answers to our questions and we'll do our best to assist you.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I gave up and did a complete reset which turn out to be good idea because it corrected other issues I had also.

Well, of course that's using the "Big Hammer" to fix it; but glad that worked for you. :up: I would still urge you to consider testing your hardware as if your previous problem was caused by an intermittent hardware failure such as heat/thermal failure on a component (RAM stick or HDD), your problems could return. Most folks won't take this step however when we suggest it, choosing to adhere to the "if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it" adage. But, if I'm right and it does occur, you'll be experiencing much more downtime trying to fix the broken hardware with software which most home users do, and don't give up unless they pay a Tech to fix it or use the really Big Hammer and just replace the entire PC.

Best, :nerdie::computer:
BBJ

Damn it! the problem has come back today. Now I'm pissed off:mad:

These scans might help to rectify the issue:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Also try checking the Event log to see if anything crops up there.

These scans might help to rectify the issue:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Also try checking the Event log to see if anything crops up there.

I've done this process before it didn't find anything wrong and didn't solve my problem.

Re-read my Post #2 above; it contains solutions to your problem and will produce a fix 98% of the time if you follow all my steps.
You didn't mention if you scanned for viruses/malware, and you didn't tell us the exact version of W10 I asked you for (we really need that to help you better), and you didn't test your hardware. Perhaps you didn't understand that a W10 reset or even W10 reinstallation from factory media (DVD, USB, or HDD partition) may not fix this kind of problem.:headache: No software on the planet can fix broken hardware!:noway: And that's what it's starting to look like you have.

Providing us with at the very least make/model of your computer and the W10 version number are what's needed; the generalities I suggested are a shotgun blast at the problem. If you'd be willing to provide more than a 2-sentence description of your problem we could certainly provide solutions more custom-tailored to your computing environment.

Thanks!
<<<BBJ>>>

Re-read my Post #2 above; it contains solutions to your problem and will produce a fix 98% of the time if you follow all my steps.
You didn't mention if you scanned for viruses/malware, and you didn't tell us the exact version of W10 I asked you for (we really need that to help you better), and you didn't test your hardware. Perhaps you didn't understand that a W10 reset or even W10 reinstallation from factory media (DVD, USB, or HDD partition) may not fix this kind of problem.:headache: No software on the planet can fix broken hardware!:noway: And that's what it's starting to look like you have.

Providing us with at the very least make/model of your computer and the W10 version number are what's needed; the generalities I suggested are a shotgun blast at the problem. If you'd be willing to provide more than a 2-sentence description of your problem we could certainly provide solutions more custom-tailored to your computing environment.

Thanks!
<<<BBJ>>>

I have a brand new Asus ROG Strix GD30 gaming desktop (2 weeks old) that came with Windows 10 Home edition, but I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro version 1703 (OS Build 15063.332). I did scan for viruses/malware, no problems there. The computer is still pretty much stock, the only major thing I did was upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Pro. I also noticed that the Taskbar flickers every now and then when I click on the windows logo/start menu or when I right-click on my home screen.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers back. Good job. After you upgraded your laptop to W10 Pro does it show Activated in the SYSTEM box? An improper upgrade without a legit W10 license conversion could cause this kind of problem. :andwhat:

<<<BBJ>>>

Thanks for your answers back. Good job. After you upgraded your laptop to W10 Pro does it show Activated in the SYSTEM box? An improper upgrade without a legit W10 license conversion could cause this kind of problem. :andwhat:

<<<BBJ>>>

Yes, it does say Activated, but I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to upgrade. Any ideas on how to roll back to Windows 10 Home edition that originally came with the computer?

I think I figured out what was causing this problem, something call "Windows Shell Experience Host". I simply open Task Manager scroll down to find it under Background processes, highlight it and click End task. Although, doing this does let me open the Start Menu & Action Center I do have to do this every time the Start Menu & Action Center shuts itself down after a certain amount of time when my computer is not active, but at least I don't have to reboot every time I want to open the Start Menu & Action Center. Now, I have to figure why ending/closing "Windows Shell Experience Host" allows me to be able to open the Start Menu & Action Center?

Back
Top Bottom