Windows 7 start menu color

Kubira

Im not American, i just like to spell color without the 'u'... Onya cobber

anyway. I like to have my start menu green, i finally found where 7 suggests to change the color of the menu, but all it does is add a green line down the bottom of any right clik menu

Right click on the desktop | Personalize | Window Color

You should see a screen like the attached. Is that were you changed your color to green?

I think I know what your looking for....like the gradient colors in previous versions.

This is only available if you choose the Windows 7 Basic theme under Personalization.

nope, that didnt work, and nope , not looking for gradient colors either.
I also changed to windows 7 classic (as suggested) and still get the ghey little green line

I Vista, you could create your own bitmap and it would appear directly over the File, Edit, View, Tools, and help menu.

The registry hack did not work in Windows 7, however if you enable Windows mail in Windows 7, it does display the custom bitmap

Last edited by a moderator:
The Menu entry is only for programs when you select File, Edit, options, etc from older applications.

that's where the color appears, not on the menu bar as you're pointing out.

yeah, i can see what u mean, but it doesnt even do that, all you get is a lil line down the bottom.
The same settings are available for xp, if u select the same setting, you get all menu's green, including the start menu
idk, i guess ill have to deal with white:confused:

No offense, but this isn't XP.

XP is a 9 yearr old OS. Things have changed....such as moving from XP to Vista;)

Simply not available with Windows 7

no it isnt xp is it, you'd have thought a new advanced appearance settings window would be in order.
Looks to me like MS just thru it in there

yeah, i can see what u mean, but it doesnt even do that, all you get is a lil line down the bottom.
The same settings are available for xp, if u select the same setting, you get all menu's green, including the start menu
idk, i guess ill have to deal with white:confused:

I agree with you completely.. I fuc*king hate the white background of the Start Menu.. ;) I also haven't been able to find a way to change it.. If you do find one, please let me know.. :)

Either full transparency or black would be my two first choices.. lol ;)

Last edited:
I have found out where the colors are at in the registry.

I made some changes and they worked, but I have yet to get the Start Menu to change.

They are located under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors

I just need to get a color converter to figure out the Red, Green, and Blue settings

I'm using the Command Prompt propties to modify the colors.
1992 192 192=white
0 0 0 =black
0 255 0=green

You get the point.

Any color preferences you would like to have?

Last edited by a moderator:
just green start menu , thats it.

OK, will give it a shot, but if you look at the registry keys, there is no Start menu entry, the Menu andd Menubar do not relate to the Start menu.

No,

The hex codes are not what I'm looking for

Back
Top Bottom