Windows 10 Start menu issues

Not sure if this is relevant or helpful at all...I have been working with 10TP for a little over a week and have found this to be problematic for me...I edit the Start Menu Structure a fair bit and when I do this to the 10TP menu, it will from time to time after restart "squish down". I did a steps record on what happened and how I fixed it. With this someone may be able to understand what is the problem and completely fix it. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Windows Start Error.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 386
Hi Christopher,
does this issue happen frequently? Have you made any changes to the os like watermark removal or similar?

Also I moved your post to it's own thread as it was slightly off topic from the thread it was originally in.

My bad, just didn't see one for this topic and kinda made a leap lOl. The only things I have done to the system so far is added Visual Studio 2008, 2010 and 2012 as well as Office 2010 and Symantec Endpoint Protection. I would note that the problem existed before SEP was installed, I just didn't think about taking the walk through until after it was installed. I would usually do something cool to the system like new start orb or log in wallpaper, though in this case I'm not up to doing that kind of changes yet. I'm still in the work with original settings mode. I did see this in Windows 8 very badly as well as 8.1, but not as bad in 8.1. The problem seems to be that the start screen/menu doesn't update live like it did before. I guess this could go back to Vista as well where I saw a loss in the start menu entries completely. The links and directories where in the correct places, just not displayed on the start menu. A reboot fixed that as well as updating the menu with the new entries in all cases.

Does this happen after a period of time? If it does it could be that the operating system is becoming corrupt or the HDD the information is held on could be starting to fail. This is just pure speculation but if it's happening with every operating system you've installed then chances are it's a hardware issue. Unless your using a particular application with each os which is causing the corruption?

I had those issues with many different installs and hardware profiles. The only similar factor is that I was editing the start menu/screen. The interesting part is that for Windows Vista, 7 and 8.1 a reboot fixed the issue but Windows 8 didn't. I don't ride the Windows 8 is bad bandwagon, i just personal don't like the start screen. The OS is for the most part stable and works well. I did really like the change in the task manager, that was an awesome change. Though I am willing to see issues with it as they come up. I do know that I was doing something most people don't do, but it could become and issue if some software tried to make start menu/screen entries, they might not work. Like now with 10TP I have noticed that I got a bad link to Firefox when it installed. Had to go in and redirect it. Not a huge deal for some, but others might see it as one. What I'm trying to say is I'm not trying to be a know it all pain in the behind. lOl

Back
Top Bottom