Windows 7 Startup Repair Loop...

kroniklad

Alright guys I need help on this one. My computer laptop went to a blue screen while I was using it and said Unknown Hard Error. Then I shut it off. Now when I reboot it it goes into startup repair no matter what I try and will never get into my Windows 7. I've tried safe mode... everything. It says Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automayically:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200997
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 19
Problem Signature 07: CorruptFile
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Do you have any guess as to what might have been going on when this happened? Were you loading some software, or a driver, or was Windows loading something? Were you on some website? Do you have any reason to suspect a virus could be involved?

Do you have a Repair CD or install DVD?

You might think about running an anti-virus during boot to see if it finds anything. There are some that will work that way, Microsoft now has one and there may be others.

I was on the internet, but I was on a site I've been to before and there were never any viruses. I was not downloading anything or installing anything at the time. Yes I have the install CD (don't know about repairs), but for my HP laptop and not for Windows 7.

If you can boot into the Windows Recovery Environment, you might be able to do some things you cannot do otherwise. If you do a Startup Repair from outside of Windows, it might be able to fix a corruption problem. That utility is supposed to run the System File checker to hopefully find and replace corrupt files. It does not always work, however, if it can even run. A normal Windows 7 install DVD gives you the option to "Repair Your Computer". I do not know what HP does.

The one time I had your situation, I had been installing a Bluetooth driver and it messed up my system. I booted to the WinRE and used the Command Prompt to delete the files associated with the install and got my system back. But unless you know exactly what is causing the problem, this type of solution would not seem to be workable.

If you can get into a command prompt, you might try running SFC /scannow, but it may give you and error message and not run.

I tried the SFC /scannow, but it said I need to 'reboot first and enter sfc again', but when I reboot it just goes back into the same startup repair loop and when i enter SFC /scannow again it just sends me the same 'reboot first' message. Is it possible that Windows 7 is just gone now? I don't have the Windows 7 DVD because my laptop came with it already installed. Very weird...

If you know someone with the same Win 7 bit version you can use it to boot into.

You can download a Win 7 repair CD following the instructions here. It does use uTorrent.

Try making more attempts at getting into Safe Mode. The time of the key press can be crucial.

But your options do seem to be a little restricted in your current circumstance. If we can't find a way to repair the damage, you may end up having to reinstall. So you might want to start looking for a way to save your data to another drive. That can be done by booting to a Linux CD/DVD or booting to the Command prompt and trying to copy things that way. If you had a backup image, that would be great...

I have found Link Removed - Invalid URL that describes how to run SFC from outside of windows. Maybe it will help and prevent the messages I was referring to. You also need to keep in mind, the Partition letters may not be the same from outside of Windows you are used to (d: may be the Windows c: )

Last edited:
Using the System Recovery Disks for my HP laptop will just restore it to the factory condition right? I have those. A Windows 7 disk is completely different and wouldn't be part of the recovery disks would they? And ya I can click on safemode, but it just goes into the startup repair and loops again so it just doesn't work at all.

Back
Top Bottom