justjules

This is starting to get boring, what am I missing here or do I have a rouge copy. OK I have installed W7 on a separate hard disc to my XP all went swell till I restarted, it just goes straight into W7. Everything I read said I needed to install EasyBCD and add an entry to the bootloader so I did and I choose the location as D drive cos thats where the NTLDR and boot.ini files are located. Great EasyBCD tells me it has added another entry and yep when I restart the PC I get a choice but when I choose the Microsoft Windows which is below the Windows 7 entry it says incorect boot files booting from 'C' or something like that. So I disconect the W7 drive and can successfully boot into XP again. How can I get this to work. Any help would be most gratefully received.
Cheers
JJ :confused::confused::confused:

It seems like you've encountered a common issue when dual-booting Windows 7 and Windows XP. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you resolve this problem and get your dual-boot configuration working correctly:

### Step 1: Use EasyBCD Correctly
  • Ensure you have EasyBCD installed correctly.
  • Open EasyBCD and navigate to the "Add New Entry" section.
  • Add the Windows XP entry with the correct drive letter (usually C:).
  • Save the changes in EasyBCD.

### Step 2: Adjust Bootloader Settings
1. After adding the Windows XP entry, go to the "Edit Boot Menu" section in EasyBCD.
2. Make sure that the Windows XP entry is listed correctly and set as the default boot option.

### Step 3: Check Drive Connections
  • Double-check the drive connections and ensure that the Windows XP drive is set as the primary boot drive in the BIOS settings.
  • The drive containing Windows XP should be set as the first boot device.

### Step 4: Repair Windows XP Bootloader
  • If you're still facing issues, you may need to repair the Windows XP bootloader using the Windows XP installation disc.
  • Boot from the Windows XP installation disc and choose the "Repair" option to access the command prompt.
  • Run the following commands:
Code:
  fixboot
  fixmbr

### Step 5: Reconnect Windows 7 Drive
  • Once you've verified that Windows XP is booting correctly, reconnect the Windows 7 drive.
  • Use EasyBCD to adjust the boot settings if needed to ensure both operating systems are listed correctly.

### Additional Suggestions
  • Make sure that both Windows XP and Windows 7 are installed on separate partitions to avoid conflicts.
  • Ensure that each operating system has its boot files (NTLDR, boot.ini for XP, and BOOTMGR for Windows 7) on their respective drives.

By following these steps, you should be able to set up a working dual-boot configuration between Windows 7 and Windows XP. If you encounter any specific errors or issues during these steps, feel free to ask for further assistance.

Back