Windows 10 Stop Charging When Power >80%, Start When <=40

There's literally no reason to do this. The laptop will stop charging the battery when it is full.

There is a reason.
The Battery Degradation is rapidly increased with a high state of charge. I am regularly repairing big Li-Ion battery packs most time the degradation of the Batteys comes from very high or very low state of charge. Not the cycle time.
The State of charge of my laptop batter would be at 100% all the time ( 4.2V per cell ) so if it would be possible to keep it at 3.6V with a lower voltage power supply would increase the lifetime of my battery a lot.

I only do not know if the charging circuit of the laptop will even work with a lower voltage input or if it would compensate for it by stepping up the voltage.

If someone knows that would be great otherwise i will just test it myself.

Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. I don't know what the tolerance is on the circuit.

Ok

I will try it and will update you if it works on my model will take few days because i first have to order the connector

Hey everyone,

to prolong battery life I would like a tool, program, way to have my laptop stop charging, when the battery is at 80% (or more?!) of its capacity. To then wait for it to drop to 40% and only then start charging again. This obviously can only be a temporary tweak (e.g. when the laptop is plugged in overnight) as I would need the notebook to be (almost) fully charged at times.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Markus

If you want to see a reported 100% when the battery is full, you need to re-calibrate the battery. To re-calibrate your laptop battery, run it down to near-empty and then charge it all the way back up to full. Remember that now a reported 100% will be the current full capacity or 80% of the original design capacity.

Regards,
Adrian

The battery provides the same power until it is drained. To stretch the time it takes to drain out, Windows cust down on performance. This can be adjusted by selecting a different power plan if desired.
According to my experience, this is not true. The CPU frequency cannot raise above base frequency (turbo boost) any more, if AC adaptor is unplugged, even if the power plan is switched to "high performance".

The battery provides the same power until it is drained. To stretch the time it takes to drain out, Windows cust down on performance. This can be adjusted by selecting a different power plan if desired.
By the way, the goal was to stop charging the battery, therefore battery degradation can be reduced. "Keeping battery level around 50%" is not the goal itself.
in other words: leave it to natually self-discharge, instead of a brutal drain/recharge loop...

Anyway, this gual doesn't seem to be easy to achieve without support form the vendor.

Last edited:
A program to manage when the laptop charges is very useful and in fact some high end MSI laptops like the GS65 have that option, some Lenovos, all laptops should have this available for clear reasons, 1 reduce the number of cycles, 2 reduce degradation on mostly stactic and connected or non used laptops, batteries suffer a degradation if they are leaved with near 100% and 0% if they stay in that charge for too long like 2-3 month and beyond so when they are going to be that long without charging is more appropiate leave with around 50 like 40-60 range, and that's why many phones and things with battery come not fully charge and around those percentages and 3 reduce degradation that can produce changing temperatures, for example a 100% gaming laptop that is almost always connected, that laptop due to gaming can go rapidly between high temperatures and normal ones, and a battery reduce it's performance on high and low temperatures so for example been on 40ºC the battery can reduce its performance 5% (not exactly that number is an example) where it go that 5%? so changes in battery capacity due to heat in a fully load battery is not exactly optimal optimal.

So as you can see in my comment telling the computer to not charge the battery over 50% can increase considerably the life of the battery

Last edited:
Hi I hawe laptop Asus by 2012 mormaly conet. power / akku . According to the user, the battery / charge on all the devices has a personal resource definition not a one person function It's your own device and what you use it for its consumption brings.

Sorry that traslation Wy search look up sometinght like Something, eusig Wy result =

Rapaaja

Last edited:
same question. Fujitsu lifebook, win 7. mostly using as a desktop (ie, plugged in). it keeps itself roughly at 98% charge. my last battery, after about 6 years constantly plugged in, lasted about 15 minutes. I've read a full charge on Li-ion batteries is a 40% variation, eg, 40%-80%

I'm looking for software, with two settings - "level to start charging at" (eg, configurable to 40%), level to stop charging at (eg, configurable to 80%). simple as that 🔋

Hi When do you search for defaults? where do you find them let us know Or its a program! We would be very grateful! As I said in my previous answer, it works or doesn't work.
regarsd.Rapaaja

There is no 3rd party software that I'm aware of to control when to stop charging. I believe Dell has some software, but even then I don't think you can control that. Most modern laptops will stop charging when full based on hardware and firmware that detects that. There really isn't any reason to unplug a laptop anymore. The only thing that will kill a battery is age.

yeah...I've done a few searches. so far a program called BattCursor....which doesn't do what I want, but gives a slightly better charger level indicator (you can roughly see it from across the room). Microsoft in their wisdom, have given lots of "turn this or that off after X minutes"......but no min/max battery level charge.

I mean, if I was Microsoft, and I wanted to "encourage" the market, I'd want the battery to last as little as possible, so people would have to buy a new battery after 3 or 4 years

The firmware and circuitry is usually proprietary to the vendor so Microsoft wouldn't be able to control that functionality. The software I mentioned from Dell only works on Dell devices.

So you're a salesman?
que?

The firmware and circuitry is usually proprietary to the vendor so Microsoft wouldn't be able to control that functionality. The software I mentioned from Dell only works on Dell devices.
but Windows standard battery level meter still has a percentage indicator, so windows still knows how far the battery is charged? or do you mean that actually being in charge/no charge state is to do with specific (Fujitsu in this case) circuitry

Last edited:
HI ia have by 2012 Asus n76v nou 2019 battery ses hi out. wot nexs newy. Dont wory BI Happy.

There is no way to control this purely with software's. All you can do is unplug the charger and re-plug when required.

I recently purchased a Lenovo business laptop and there is a software to prolong battery life if using ac all the time. It stops charging the battery at 60 percent to help reduce the battery cycling count. It only works on Lenovo laptops.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Back