Strange behavior with shares between Win10 and Win11 ...

leguar

Need som help about seeing my shares between 2 PC's within my LAN.

Informations with my LAN og PC's:
My desktop has dual-boot between Windows 10 and Windows 11.
They are named GULD10 and GULD11.

My laptop is installed with Windows 11 and named THINKPAD-T580.

All of them has the same name in "Workgroup".
All of them has the same HOSTS file.
All of them has the same User and Password.
All of them has static IP-addresses.
All partitions are shared, and set for "All Users".
Both online PC names can be seen in Explorer.

But the problem is (4 combinations) when I try to access data on
the other PC:
1) From GULD10 to THINKPAD-T580 Credentials required and denied
2) From GULD11 to THINKPAD-T580 Credentials required and denied
3) From THINKPAD-T580 to GULD10 Credentials required and ACCEPTED.
4) From THINKPAD-T580 to GULD11 Credentials required and denied.

Only at point 3, I can see and access my partitions on the other PC.
Strange behavior !!!

Any HELP is appriceated, thanks.

Attachments

• User and PW.webp
    User and PW.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
It sounds like you're experiencing some frustrating access issues with file sharing across your Windows devices. Let's break down the situation and see how we can resolve it.

Issues Identified​

1. Credentials Required and Denied: You mentioned that accessing shares from GULD10 and GULD11 to THINKPAD-T580 results in credential prompts that are denied. Conversely, accessing from THINKPAD-T580 to GULD10 is successful.

Possible Causes and Solutions​

1. User Account Control (UAC):
    • Windows has a security feature known as UAC. If UAC is enabled, it may block access even if the credentials are correct. Ensure that UAC settings are consistent across all systems, or temporarily disable it to see if that resolves the issue.
  2. Network Profile:
    • Make sure that all systems are set to the same network profile (Private network) so that they can discover each other properly. You can check this in "Settings" > "Network & Internet" > "Status."
  3. Sharing Settings:
    • Double-check the "Advanced Sharing Settings" on each machine. Specifically, make sure:
      • Network discovery is turned on.
      • File and printer sharing is enabled.
      • Password-protected sharing is turned off if you want to share without requiring credentials (remember to turn it back on if needed for security).
  4. Firewall Settings:
    • Check the Windows Firewall settings on each device. Ensure that file and printer sharing is allowed. You can do this via "Control Panel" > "System and Security" > "Windows Defender Firewall" > "Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall."
  5. Using IP Address for Access:
    • Instead of using the PC name, try accessing the shares using the IP address. For example, in File Explorer, you can use \\ to see if that helps with the credentials issue.
    • Check Local Security Policy:
      • Navigate to Local Security Policy by searching for it in the Start Menu, and check under Local Policies > Security Options for settings related to network access. Make sure that Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts is set to Classic.

Testing and Confirmation​

After making any changes, try accessing the shares again in the following combinations:
  • GULD10 to THINKPAD-T580
  • GULD11 to THINKPAD-T580
  • THINKPAD-T580 to GULD10
  • THINKPAD-T580 to GULD11
If the issue persists, please let me know which combinations worked or failed, and we can further narrow down the problem. Feel free to provide additional details about network configurations as well!

It sounds like you're experiencing some frustrating access issues with file sharing across your Windows devices. Let's break down the situation and see how we can resolve it.

Issues Identified​

1. Credentials Required and Denied: You mentioned that accessing shares from GULD10 and GULD11 to THINKPAD-T580 results in credential prompts that are denied. Conversely, accessing from THINKPAD-T580 to GULD10 is successful.

Possible Causes and Solutions​

1. User Account Control (UAC):
    • Windows has a security feature known as UAC. If UAC is enabled, it may block access even if the credentials are correct. Ensure that UAC settings are consistent across all systems, or temporarily disable it to see if that resolves the issue.
  2. Network Profile:
    • Make sure that all systems are set to the same network profile (Private network) so that they can discover each other properly. You can check this in "Settings" > "Network & Internet" > "Status."
  3. Sharing Settings:
    • Double-check the "Advanced Sharing Settings" on each machine. Specifically, make sure:
      • Network discovery is turned on.
      • File and printer sharing is enabled.
      • Password-protected sharing is turned off if you want to share without requiring credentials (remember to turn it back on if needed for security).
  4. Firewall Settings:
    • Check the Windows Firewall settings on each device. Ensure that file and printer sharing is allowed. You can do this via "Control Panel" > "System and Security" > "Windows Defender Firewall" > "Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall."
  5. Using IP Address for Access:
    • Instead of using the PC name, try accessing the shares using the IP address. For example, in File Explorer, you can use \\ to see if that helps with the credentials issue.
    • Check Local Security Policy:
      • Navigate to Local Security Policy by searching for it in the Start Menu, and check under Local Policies > Security Options for settings related to network access. Make sure that Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts is set to Classic.

Testing and Confirmation​

After making any changes, try accessing the shares again in the following combinations:
  • GULD10 to THINKPAD-T580
  • GULD11 to THINKPAD-T580
  • THINKPAD-T580 to GULD10
  • THINKPAD-T580 to GULD11
If the issue persists, please let me know which combinations worked or failed, and we can further narrow down the problem. Feel free to provide additional details about network configurations as well!
After testing I came up with the following result:
More info: I'm the only user with Admin rights.

#1 UAC
On the 3 (OS) devices I turned off UAC. Didn't help, so I set them back.

#2 Network Profile
Have testet all of them, an they seems the same.

#3 Sharing settings
I turned "Password-Protected Sharing" off, which gives me a new msg (attached).
But suddently testing, the combination THINKPAD-T580 ---> GULD11 I can get access to the partitions.

#4 Firewall Settings
They are all the same.

#5 Using IP Address for Access
Dont know how to do this, but I can 'ping' THINKPAD-T580 which is ok.

#6 Check Local Security Policy
They ar all set to Classic (Attached).

Result pt.:
  • GULD10 to THINKPAD-T580 - Not working
  • GULD11 to THINKPAD-T580 - Not working
  • THINKPAD-T580 to GULD10 - Working
  • THINKPAD-T580 to GULD11 - Working

Attachments

• #3 Screenshot 2024-10-13 181357.webp
    #3 Screenshot 2024-10-13 181357.webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
  • #6 Screenshot 2024-10-13 185656.webp
    #6 Screenshot 2024-10-13 185656.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for providing the detailed testing results! It looks like you've made some good progress and the situation is starting to clarify a bit. Let's summarize:

Current Status​

• GULD10 to THINKPAD-T580: Not working
  • GULD11 to THINKPAD-T580: Not working
  • THINKPAD-T580 to GULD10: Working
  • THINKPAD-T580 to GULD11: Working

Insights & Next Steps​

1. Credential Prompts: Since disabling password-protected sharing allowed access from THINKPAD-T580 to GULD11, it suggests that there's likely a mismatch in credentials or permissions when trying to access from GULD10 and GULD11.
  2. Using IP Address:
    • To access the shares via IP address, you can simply type the following in the File Explorer address bar:
      Code:
       \\
      Replace with the actual IP address of, say, THINKPAD-T580. You can find the IP address from the command prompt by running ipconfig or directly checking the network settings.
    • IP Configuration:
      • Since you can ping THINKPAD-T580, that indicates it's reachable over the network. Use the IP address directly to see if you get the same credential prompt issue. For example, try accessing:
        Code:
         \\192.168.x.x (replace with the actual IP)
    • Event Viewer & Logs:
      • To pinpoint the issue, you can check the Event Viewer on both THINKPAD-T580 and GULD10/GULD11. Look for any warnings or errors related to network or sharing under Windows Logs > Security and Application.
    • Guest Account:
      • Sometimes, enabling the Guest account might help. However, this should be a temporary measure. Ensure that you disable it after testing for security purposes.

Next Testing​

Try using the IP address method from GULD10 and GULD11 to access THINKPAD-T580. This will help determine if it's indeed a credential or access issue that's preventing the connection.
Let me know how that goes, and we can continue troubleshooting from there! If you have any screenshots or error messages, please feel free to share those too; they might provide more insight.

Thanks for providing the detailed testing results! It looks like you've made some good progress and the situation is starting to clarify a bit. Let's summarize:

Current Status​

• GULD10 to THINKPAD-T580: Not working
  • GULD11 to THINKPAD-T580: Not working
  • THINKPAD-T580 to GULD10: Working
  • THINKPAD-T580 to GULD11: Working

Insights & Next Steps​

1. Credential Prompts: Since disabling password-protected sharing allowed access from THINKPAD-T580 to GULD11, it suggests that there's likely a mismatch in credentials or permissions when trying to access from GULD10 and GULD11.
  2. Using IP Address:
    • To access the shares via IP address, you can simply type the following in the File Explorer address bar:
      Code:
       \\
      Replace with the actual IP address of, say, THINKPAD-T580. You can find the IP address from the command prompt by running ipconfig or directly checking the network settings.
    • IP Configuration:
      • Since you can ping THINKPAD-T580, that indicates it's reachable over the network. Use the IP address directly to see if you get the same credential prompt issue. For example, try accessing:
        Code:
         \\192.168.x.x (replace with the actual IP)
    • Event Viewer & Logs:
      • To pinpoint the issue, you can check the Event Viewer on both THINKPAD-T580 and GULD10/GULD11. Look for any warnings or errors related to network or sharing under Windows Logs > Security and Application.
    • Guest Account:
      • Sometimes, enabling the Guest account might help. However, this should be a temporary measure. Ensure that you disable it after testing for security purposes.

Next Testing​

Try using the IP address method from GULD10 and GULD11 to access THINKPAD-T580. This will help determine if it's indeed a credential or access issue that's preventing the connection.
Let me know how that goes, and we can continue troubleshooting from there! If you have any screenshots or error messages, please feel free to share those too; they might provide more insight.
Here's the following results for futher tests:

Current Status: The same - nothing changed, and I have not changed anything.

#1 Credential Prompts:
I'm sure its credentials or permissions that is the culprit. Pictures attached with Ipconfig for both GULD11 and THINKPAD-T580

#2 Using IP Address:
I have tried entering the IP address in File Explorer, to no avail. Same "story" (picture attached)

I have attached more pictures of Ipconfig, ARP -a ect. Hope they can give some interesting.
Info: GULD11 og -10 ends with .55 (same IP address, but they cannnot be active at the same time (dual boot)) and THINKPAD-T580 ends with .80

Even Viewer & Logs + Guest Account will be testet tomorrow.

Thanks

Attachments

• THINKPAD-T580 Ipconfig.webp
    THINKPAD-T580 Ipconfig.webp
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • GULD11 Netstat.webp
    GULD11 Netstat.webp
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
  • GULD11 Ipconfig.webp
    GULD11 Ipconfig.webp
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • GULD11 File Explorer to THINKPAD-T580.webp
    GULD11 File Explorer to THINKPAD-T580.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
  • GULD11 ARP -a.webp
    GULD11 ARP -a.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
  • GULD10 Netstat.webp
    GULD10 Netstat.webp
    39 KB · Views: 0
  • THINKPAD-T580.webp
    THINKPAD-T580.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
Based on the analysis of your uploaded images, here are the insights derived from each one:
  1. Active Connections (GULD10): This output displays a list of active TCP connections. It includes local and foreign IP addresses along with their corresponding port numbers, indicating the connection states (most of them established). This might help you determine what connections are actively being made from this device.
  2. ARP Table (GULD11): This table shows the ARP entries for the specified network interface, listing Internet addresses with their corresponding physical (MAC) addresses. This can be useful for identifying devices on your local network and ensuring the right communication paths.
  3. Network Access Error (GULD11): This image indicates a network access error when trying to connect to a specific IP address (likely THINKPAD-T580's). It suggests reaching out to the network administrator for access permissions, reinforcing the notion of potential credential or permissions issues.
  4. IP Configuration (GULD11): This shows the current IP configuration, including the hostname, DNS suffix, physical address (MAC), and network settings like IP address and subnet mask. It gives a clear picture of the device's network settings.
  5. Active Connections (THINKPAD-T580): Similar to the earlier output, this shows another list of active TCP connections. Analyzing these can reveal whether THINKPAD-T580 is maintaining connections to intended devices or if any are failing.
  6. IP Configuration (THINKPAD-T580): This provides the IP configuration details for THINKPAD-T580, helping you verify its network settings to ensure everything is correctly set.
  7. Another Active Connections View (THINKPAD-T580): This shows additional active connections on this device, which might help in understanding whether it's facing issues establishing connections or if they are functioning correctly.

Next Steps Based on Findings​

1. Check Permissions Again: Make sure that all relevant accounts have access permissions confirmed. The error from GULD11 might indicate that the connection is blocked due to permission issues on the target device.
  2. Verify Network Setup: Cross-check that both GULD10 and GULD11 have the correct ARP entries for THINKPAD-T580 to ensure they can resolve its MAC address correctly.
  3. Event Viewer Review: Look into the Event Viewer on both GULD11 and THINKPAD-T580 and check for critical errors or warnings that correspond to the times you attempt to connect.
  4. Guest Account for Testing: If you haven't already, temporarily enabling the Guest account on THINKPAD-T580 could help verify if the issue is strictly permissions-related.
  5. Revisit Firewall Settings: Ensure that firewalls on both sides (GULD and THINKPAD) allow file and printer sharing and that there are no conflicting settings that could lead to connection issues.
  6. Testing Access: If you find specific error messages while testing, note them down. This will help to identify areas of focus.
If any more results come from testing or new insights emerge, feel free to share! We'll continue troubleshooting until everything works smoothly.

It previous could not see your attachments in the sense that it was not included, but it now has the capability to see these now (previously these had to be inlined). Although I can not profess to say what it may make of it. It is not pure OCR because it still has to "describe" the image to itself using a function call to itself. I hope this helps.

Back