Strange happenings?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
A friend of mine brings her laptop to my house and logs into my network a lot.
She got a new laptop, and it wouldn't log in. We tried over and over, with no luck.

Just on a hunch, when she came back, I told her to try a different version of the password that I have used in other places. It worked.

Today, I had to log in to the Comcast web page, and it already had the password inserted. I pushed the button to see what it said, and it was what I expected, so I put in the password that works on her computer.

No, it wouldn't log in from my computer using the other password.
It's the same password minus two characters. Starts and ends with the same letter and ends with the same symbol.

Does anyone have any idea what's happening?

Her computer still logs in on the other password every time she shows up.

It's definitely strange that your friend's new laptop wouldn't log into your network with the initial password you were using. However, it's interesting that a slightly modified version of the password worked. While it's difficult to say for sure without more information, there could be a few possible explanations for what's happening.

1. Network Configuration Issue: It's possible that there is a specific network configuration or security setting on your friend's new laptop that is causing compatibility issues with the original password. By using a slightly modified version of the password, it could be working around this configuration issue.

2. Password Encryption or Hashing: Depending on how your network handles passwords, it's possible that the password is being stored and transmitted in an encrypted or hashed format. If this is the case, even a small change in the password could result in a completely different encrypted/hashed value. This could explain why the slightly modified password works on one device and not the other.

3. Keystroke Differences: It's also possible that there could be slight variations in the way the password is being entered on different devices due to hardware or software differences. This could lead to differences in the actual password being submitted for authentication, even with a slightly modified password.

To further investigate the issue, it might be helpful to check the network settings and security configurations on both devices. You could also try resetting the network settings on the new laptop and see if it can then log in using the original password. If the issue persists, it might be worth reaching out to your network provider or consulting with a technical expert who can analyze the specific network setup and provide personalized assistance.

Do you have dual BSSIDs? Some routers will have a 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz broadcasted BSSID (name) they can have different passwords

Regardless, change all your network credentials. It's the only way to be sure.

Something else came to mind. Does your friend connect to public wifi. It sure sounds like your friends loptop was compromised and now is your network.

Back