Windows 7 Strange Memory problems

DrakeMontana

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can help me.

I got 3 2gb rams and have windows 7 Ultimate 64bit version but for some reason it's only using 4gb instead of the 6gb thats in it.

does anyone know why it's doing this?

Edit: I should also say that in the system details it reads I have 6gb but will only use 4gb instead.

Last edited:
This may be down to one or two things.
Try reseating the RAM to make sure it's clicked in properly.
Check your bios settings are correct
Check for bios updates on motherboard
Check the RAM, one stick at a time, using this app here: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool (it is possible to buy bad RAM)

I've tried all that was above and everything is still good but for some reason it still saying 6.00 GB (3.99 GB Usable) the only thing I haven't done is trying to update the bios software, could it be because i have 32 bit software installed?

I found the problem, thats for your advice, the Ram at the end of the line is faulty, I'll have to get a new one, would explain why my computer was acting up when i was using more then 4 gbs at times, it would play up till then.

Congrats on at least finding it.. It's not easy. Hopefully the supplier will replace?

I would but not noticing it for a long time it's probably out of warranty, I just all ways thought it was a 32 bit systems thing with a limit of 4 gb never occurred to me that it was a faulty ram once I upgraded to windows 7

As long as your running in 64bit you won't get the 4GB limit whether your running 32bit software or not.. I'd at least check with the manufacturers web page as there might be a lifetime guarantee (wishfull thinking...).

I just checked online when i read your post Kemical and it acually does have a lifetime one, I'll have to ring the shop in the morning and see what I have to do to get a replacement, Thanks for sugesting for me to check it out ^_^

Thanks ^_^ I was planning on getting another 3 2 gb at some stage but lacking a little on the side, just got myself a Gigabyte GeForce GTX285 with 2GB DDR3, should do me for a bit ^_^

Nice! I'm waiting for the prices to drop on the 5870.. I've given up waiting for Nvidia's DX11 solution so will go for the card just mentioned..

Back