Windows Vista Support for Vista x64 firewire needed

deathwinger

Honorable Member
Microsoft needs to add proper support for Vista x64 firewire support. As it stands now, I cannot digitize my footage to my x64 installation of vista ultimate due to this. It can control the camera but it cannot actually capture the video. I have a Canon XH G1 and a Sony A1U, same results with all.

I have Vista x86 installed just for this purpose and this purpose alone but I love 64bit over 32bit any day.

How do I get hold of Microsoft to inform them that x64 firewire support is properly needed for Vista?

Hmmm, Thanks but I think these are device specific. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if I can speak to them about it.

Hmmm, Thanks but I think these are device specific. Maybe I'll give them a call and see if I can speak to them about it.

Good idea, Canon says they offer a Zoom Browser Ex Updater for Vista 64, have you had that? Sony offers a free update scan for H-D Video AIU. Sounds like you know you're stuff.

Hmm, nope. Same effect. The camera is detected and it is controllable via the software on the computer, however, when it comes to capturing the actual footage, it stops after a second stating there was no input.

I believe it is a problem with Microsoft drivers for x64 because the capturing works perfectly in x86 (only problem is I love x64 more now after using it). I will give them a call during the weekday and hopefully something is being done for SP2.

Deathwinger,

have tried 'googling' for a driver? Sometimes other alternatives get thrown up like a similar driver for something else being the solution. You could also try and see if they have an online forum for the camera, you never know.....

I have tiredly googled this issue and I have posted on the canon forums about this. It seems the problems lie in the x64 implementation of its firewire drivers. And it would make sense as the devices work perfectly in x86. The only problem is that I love the performance of x64 over x86 and is the only thing holding me back from having a full x64 experience.

I will be calling Microsoft on Monday to talk about this.

I have tiredly googled this issue and I have posted on the canon forums about this. It seems the problems lie in the x64 implementation of its firewire drivers. And it would make sense as the devices work perfectly in x86. The only problem is that I love the performance of x64 over x86 and is the only thing holding me back from having a full x64 experience.

I will be calling Microsoft on Monday to talk about this.

Hi! Before you go spending $$$$ try PapaJohn.org MVP They might know of something you can use..... I know they have interactive one hour group sessions for $10.00 a month- Then there is Bright Hub...

Back