Windows 8 Survey: Which applications do you regularly run?

Hi all,

I've been away from Windows since my retirement 2 years ago; running Fedora Linux on my PCs. I'm wondering if I'm really missing anything running Linux. What applications do you run every day in Windows?

Terry

Terry, if you've been running & truly enjoying Fedora for the last 2 years, then I suggest you stay where you're at. Low overhead, fast boot times, stay updated on the run.

Basically running many of the same things that you were then, only they're newer.

Skype for Windows is Free now, that's the only new one I can think of.

Cat

catilley1092,

Thanks for the response. I do enjoy Fedora and it does everything I want it to do but I like to keep abreast of what is going on in the W-world, thus the question.

Terry

I run programs.

Netbeans
Steam: Moon Breakers
Minecraft
StarCraft II
GNU MinGW Compiler:
- g++.exe (compiler: C++)
- gcc.exe (compiler C)
- make.exe

Firefox
I dumped the default DVD player (it was awsome, but it had a load of crap I didn't need, and it was hardware-maker software loaded with adware and other crap) for VLC player

cmd.exe

I would have deleted all of the "apps" in my start menu from my system, but the OS won't let me. Guess I should boot on backtrack and purge them for good, eh? I'm developing a program right now that might get the job done, though. Mabey yall should have included that.

I also want to purge IE. I don't like it, I don't use it, I don't need it, and it's wasting space on my computer. An uninstaller would be nice. Guess I'll just have to use my program and remove those files myself. If windows depends on those files, then that's a poor design on the part of Microsoft: an OS should be independent of the software it can run.

I also want to purge IE. I don't like it, I don't use it, I don't need it, and it's wasting space on my computer.

If you really don't want IE, then go to the Control Panel, in the Search box, type in "Turn Windows features on or off" (w/out the quotes). Then remove the check mark for Internet Explorer 11, click OK. You'll likely receive some type of warning when doing so, that some features may not work, but the option is there.

Screenshot (8).png

It doesn't uninstall it, but gets it out of your way if not wanted. While you're there, you can also disable Media Center/Player or any of the other "junk" that you don't want.

Cat

Been there done that. I want it GONE. Not hidden. Not deactivated. GONE. As in purged from my system. Disabling it does not remove it.

My suggestion is for you to get a OS that you're happy with & forget Windows 8.1. Because no matter what, you're going to be unhappy with the OS.

I'm out of here!

Cat

@Catilley:
Now you're just assuming I hate Microsoft "just cause'". Sorry to dissapoint, but my intellect does not consist solely of crystallized intelligence.

If Microsoft puts together an OS that works right, then I will be happy.

Unfortunately, I can't just switch, as I have to develop on windows. I do, however, have a linux partition setup on my hdd alongside windows. I can choose between the two at startup.

In that case then, you should post your issues (what doesn't work right) in the proper section of the forum & seek answers. Google is also your friend. Most likely, whatever issues that you have, others has answered more than once.

I have 2 computers with 8.1, one with 8. There is nothing that I can do on Windows 7 Pro (of which I also have 3 installs of) that I can't do on 8.1 faster, except run XP Mode, which I'm scrapping anyway. That wasn't an included feature of 8.1 & I knew that going in. For those with a computer who can run it, there is Hyper-V for the Pro & Enterprise versions.

[QUOTE
@Catilley:
Now you're just assuming I hate Microsoft "just cause'". Sorry to dissapoint, but my intellect does not consist solely of crystallized intelligence.
][/QUOTE]

I never stated or assumed you hate MS "just cause" anything. You're putting words in my mouth & the only thing that I tried to do is offer you assistance. As to you wanting certain apps such as IE gone, there are likely legal clauses (in the EULA) that prevents this. It may be considered disassembly or reverse engineering, which is prohibited by MS.

Cat

I also want to purge IE. I don't like it, I don't use it, I don't need it, and it's wasting space on my computer. An uninstaller would be nice. Guess I'll just have to use my program and remove those files myself. If windows depends on those files, then that's a poor design on the part of Microsoft: an OS should be independent of the software it can run.

All OS have a built-in internet browsers. It has to be pre-installed and an integral part of the OS. How are you going to download and install (assuming you only have 1 pc) an internet browser of your choice if there is no default browser? how can you activate online and register a pc on first time use? A default and uninstallable browser that can repair itself should always be available when you need one (esp.when your favorite browser is failing). All you need to do is disable IE. It's your frIEnd when you need it.

Last edited:
Though I seldom use IE, it's not in the way. We can choose which browser we do want, but there has to be a starting point.

Cat

Although Firefox is my default browser, because I've became accustomed to it, I do also use Google Chrome daily for fast searching. Mainly because I have NoScript added to Firefox & during quick searches, I have to give temporary permissions to see what's on a site.

NoScript provides great security, but to some, I know it's a pain to work. However, I'd rather have it than not, it's one of the best security add-ons that any browser offers.

Cat

Hi

For the basics I use....

Google Chrome
Mozilla Thunderbird
Microsoft Office

I use Again Ransack for a search engine

I use Winamp for a music player but I use Windows Media Player for video.

I don't have any choice but to run Windows as my OS because there just isn't anything else that will really run all software.

I run virtually everything that Adobe makes from Photoshop and Indesign to Illustrator and Premiere.
I run several 3D software creation programs, like Blender, Blacksmith 3D and Poser Pro 2014.

I have other sound and video conversion and editing programs.
Software that creates voices, and software that does lipsyncing.

And I run a lot of games, right now I have installed...

WOW
Lord of the Rings Online
Age of Conan
The Secret World
Tomb Raider
Skyrim
DC Universe
Guild Wars 2

All in all I have over 100 applications that I actually need at least once in a while.

Only Windows would run all this stuff.
I do run Ubuntu sometimes, but I run it from a DVD, I don't have it installed.

Mike

Back