Windows 7 Suspected registry issue

JeroenDeDauw

Hey,

On my x64 win 7 ultimate I'm having problems with a number of applications that don't want to save their settings. If I change and save/apply them, and then check their value, it won't have changed. The error is definitly not with the applications, which include OpenOffice, 7zip, TrueCrypt and others.

Anyone an idea how to fix this rather annoying problem?

Cheers

The programs may be written in a way were saving information is not being done correctly. You might try running them in a compatibility mode for the OS they were originally written for.

If not that, perhaps there is some type of permission issue keeping the saving location from being accessed.

It could be some permission issue yes. But as far as I can deduce, the registry is the only thing these apps all use.

Like I said, the issue is not with the apps. They work fine on other similar windows installations.

Many programs use files other than the registry. Since I am not familiar with these utilities, I may be mistaken, but some might use .ini files, as Quicken does. If they are attempting to write to the registry, what could be preventing that?

Did you install them using the As Administrator option? Have you tried to set them to run As Administrator? You being an Administrative user, may not be enough to set permissions correctly in some programs.

But you say these utilities work on other Win 7 installs with your user set up exactly the same?

Hello !!

As Saltgrass said there are lot of applications that save user preferences on other Location mainly under Application Data folder. It sound to me as a User Profile issue. It's worth creating a new Windows User Profile and see if it saves your personal setting there if so sick with that profile.

Good Luck,
Captain

Still having issues with this. I've run the registry fix script, and tried to change the permissions manually. Nothing got fixed, and now I can't connect to the internet anymore. Wtf?!!

Unless someone provides me with a fix here I'll be leaving Windows for good, crapped up OS >_>

I have downloaded the 32 bit version of 7-zip to test. The attach picture shows a change I made and applied which was transferred to the registry. You can use the location to check yours.

If you change settings, does the change ever show up in the registry, or does it go away afterward? Do you have the UAC turned on so you can see messages?

Do you show any error or warning messages in the event viewer concerning any of these programs?

Are you running any security programs that might be blocking the change, which was asked before?

Have you tried running the programs by clicking on "Run As Administrator"?

Are all of your problem programs Linux types?

The x64 install comes as a .msi file, but the 32 bit comes as an .exe. Don't know if it makes a difference.

If you are using Truecrypt, could it be messing you up?

Have you done anything that might have messed with your permissions or normal windows install.

Attachments

• 7zip.GIF
    7zip.GIF
    32.7 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
I have downloaded the 32 bit version of 7-zip to test. The attach picture shows a change I made and applied which was transferred to the registry. You can use the location to check yours.

If you change settings, does the change ever show up in the registry, or does it go away afterward? Do you have the UAC turned on so you can see messages?
For some apps changes do not show up in the registry. Some apps I need to run as admin for changes to show up (apps I should not be running as admin - and no I'm not wrong here!) UAC is on.

Do you show any error or warning messages in the event viewer concerning any of these programs?
No.

Are you running any security programs that might be blocking the change, which was asked before?
I am running Kaspersky, but the problem also occurs when I turn it off, and is not occuring on 3 "identical" setups which also have it.

Have you tried running the programs by clicking on "Run As Administrator"?
Yes, obviously.

Are all of your problem programs Linux types?
Linux types?? wtf? This huge fail has nothing to do with linux, or the apps I'm using, but with Windows.

The x64 install comes as a .msi file, but the 32 bit comes as an .exe. Don't know if it makes a difference.
I might have said it before, maybe even a dozen times by now, who knows, but the problem is not with the apps...

If you are using Truecrypt, could it be messing you up?
No.

Have you done anything that might have messed with your permissions or normal windows install.
Not that I know off.

Back