Windows Vista Switch off windows updates temporarily?

mikky

Is it possible to switch off all windows updates temporarily, and work offline. I have a CD-ROM, that successive windows updates have rendered inoperative. I can run this disk on an old machine, but it will not run on my main machine. I could go through the many updates, and with great difficulty, find the offending updates and switch them off. I am unsure which ones are causing the problem, and if I could (with one click) temporarily switch them all off, I could run this disk, while working off-line. Is it possible to do this?

Mike

I'm pretty sure you can't do that but you could try booting into safe mode? Also have you checked that the CD-ROM doesn't have any firmware updates? They can often increase the functionality of these devices.. If your unsure post the make and model and I'll look for you.

Aah you meant an actual CD-ROM/DVD and not the drive... Apologies I got my wires crossed...

I checked out the link above and that DVD is compatible with most versions of Windows:
DVD-Rom Recommended System Requirements: A PC running Windows 7, XP or Vista with 512MB RAM installed and a 4X speed DVD drive.
ref:
http://www.naval-military-press.com/official-history-of-the-great-war.-france-belgium.-dvd-rom.html

So at one time this disk would run but now it won't? What is the actual error message you get when you try to run the disk?

Does your system have a DVD drive?

Thanks again Kemical. Would you believe, I tried it today, and it is working again (a bit temperamental though) To be honest it is that long ago I cannot remember the message, but it would not even load. Today it is running. What is it about windows updates?

Mike

If the DVD has a start up exe or icon try right clicking on it and choosing properties, compatibility and run as administrator.

Back