Windows Vista syetem volume information taking ALOT of hard drive space help

johnsamsung10

hi there. my dads computer has very little hard drive space left, so i downloaded file size t see which flyer was taking all the room away, the folder "system volume information" is using 77.5% of the hard drive and with all the other files photos ext its only got 4.5gb left (223gb hard drive) can i delete these files or not? also ran a virus scan and came up with no issues.
any help appreciated
thanks

This is probably due to System Restore, make sure his computer is set to use a nominal amount of space for System Restore (say %10).

If you want to get into the nitty gritty and learn about how much space Volume Shadow Copy is using, launch an Elevated Command Prompt and check out the following:

vssadmin list shadowstorage (shows storage usage)
vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=10GB (sets max size of Shadow Copy Storage to 10GB)

This is probably due to System Restore, make sure his computer is set to use a nominal amount of space for System Restore (say %10).

If you want to get into the nitty gritty and learn about how much space Volume Shadow Copy is using, launch an Elevated Command Prompt and check out the following:

vssadmin list shadowstorage (shows storage usage)
vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=10GB (sets max size of Shadow Copy Storage to 10GB)
thank you this worked, now have 160gb free!

Back