Windows 7 System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown

TerryW

A photo program I use, Photomatix Pro, worked fine until yesterday. Now every time I try to process photos I get this (on a new computer with no memory issues) -

Could not load images.
Exception of type System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown.

The answer to the problem that I’ve found online is this -

I've seen this too, along with other problems in SSMS. (check your event log for errors).

This could be caused by corrupted Management Studio user data. Go to:

1. %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\

2. Delete the 'Shell' folder. This folder will be rebuilt when you start SSMS.

I remember having to do this when I was using a computer with XP and it solved the problem. But with 7, I for the life of me can’t figure out how to “go to”

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\

Hi Terry,

Open up My computer (or just computer in win 7) and on the left hand side look for 'Organise'. Click that and then look down for 'Folder and Search options':

organise.jpg

Click that and then 'View' in the revealed Dialogue box. Look down the check boxes and tick 'show hidden files and folders':

showaw.jpg

Now look in your 'C' drive and click User\your name\app data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools

Now delete the shell folder. To hide the revealed folders just reverse the above steps. Hopefully that will have you sorted. If not please post back.

Okay, I’ve gotten farther now but when I open AppData I have 3 folders -

Local
LocalLow
Roaming

I find a Microsoft folder in each one of those folders but none of the Microsoft folders have Microsoft SQL Server in them.

I searched files and folders for Microsoft SQL Server, it came up, I clicked on it and one folder shows “v3.1”, I click on that and here’s the list of folders in that folder -

v.31.jpg

If I bring up the properties I can choose to use an earlier version, if I went back to the version used last week when my program was working do you think that would solve the problem?

It doesn't look like I have the option to restore to a previous version since the 'restore' button is faded and not live, so I can't click on it.

I really don't like how Windows 7 has rearranged everything, in XP I could find my way around, now I'm just lost.

This is SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition, maybe that makes a difference?

" SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition doesn't have the full functionality of an SQL server"

Hi Terry,

yeah sorry it was the roaming folder I missed out but I guess the point is moot now. I did a little googling and came across this page here:

FAQ about HDR photography software Photomatix - Tone Mapping, HDR images creation and Exposure Fusion

Let me know if it's any help or not.

If your still willing to try a restore you could try rebooting and pressing F8 whilst booting up. This will get you into the advanced boot menu. You could try 'last good known config'? Might be worth a try..

Well it turns out that the program wouldn't load the photos that I had processed in another program first, lightroom, but when I tried photos that hadn't been processed in lightroom it worked just fine. It's never done that with other photos I've processed in lightroom but whatever, at least it's working and I don't have to keep digging through folders looking for a file to delete. I really appreciate your trying to help and I'm bookmarking this forum, I can learn a lot more about 7 here, I already have.

Thank you!

I'm very pleased to hear you have had some sort of resolution and yes please do remember us as your very welcome here.. :)

Back