Windows 7 System wont shut down

dgm6780

I am running Windows 7 on a Dell mini 12. ( Intel atom processor 1.6ghz, 1gb RAM) I am have been toying around with Windows 7 RC build 7100 since it came out just a week after I got my mini and it allows me to use a 4GB SDHC for readyboost but using the Mini's defualt Win XP would not.

But now I am running into a problem with windows 7 - none of the power functions seem to be working right. The system just hangs on the "Shutting Down" screen when you do a shut down or when you do a system restart. So every time I end having to hold the power button down to turn it off and then back on. This is creating a problem because no changes I make to startup in msconfig, or changes to any setting, are not "taking" because I cant perform a restart without killing the power then being forced to select "start windows normally" during bootup. Even telling the computer to sleep ends up with me holding the power button down to completely kill it and then rebooting because it wont wake back up from sleep.

What am I missing here? Why wont it restart? It boots fine when I do the hard boot with the power button.

Any help is much appreciated. Wish I had more info to give you, but any questions please ask. I am desperate for help. I am considering going ahead and putting windows xp back on here.

one other weird thing its doing, my battery meter in the task bar always shows it as charging, even when unplugged. Mousing over it and clicking it does nothing, I cant change any power settings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom