Windows 7 SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION win32k.sys - Blue screen of death error

wils757

Hi,

I'm having issues with a BSOD showing the above error. I have run memory test and it shows a error also (unsure of the error) but advised to pull each of the RAM sticks until thr BSOFD stops) - I've pulled each stick in turn but yet the error remains.

Also been advised it could be my video card driver, Ive updated this also.

I've downloaded blue screen viewer and here is the readout from the last few blue screens;

032716-27846-01.dmp 27/03/2016 07:20:00 SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 0x0000003b 00000000`c0000005 fffff960`00095332 fffff880`0739d080 00000000`00000000 win32k.sys win32k.sys+5332 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+74080 C:\Windows\Minidump\032716-27846-01.dmp 8 15 7601 283,224 27/03/2016 08:28:55

032516-23431-01.dmp 25/03/2016 16:43:24 SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 0x0000003b 00000000`c000001d fffff960`00025341 fffff880`07f9ce60 00000000`00000000 win32k.sys win32k.sys+5341 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+74080 C:\Windows\Minidump\032516-23431-01.dmp 8 15 7601 287,536 25/03/2016 16:44:39

030916-27112-01.dmp 09/03/2016 10:55:55 SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 0x0000003b 00000000`c0000005 fffff960`00062fa2 fffff880`040850d0 00000000`00000000 win32k.sys win32k.sys+2fa2 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+743c0 C:\Windows\Minidump\030916-27112-01.dmp 8 15 7601 283,224 09/03/2016 11:00:20

Can anyone start to unpick this for me, or at least point me in the right direction

Hi,
we really need to see your actual dump files to help further and if you read this thread it will help you collect the data:
How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

However, if you ran a memory test (you don't say which one you used) and it returned an error it's possible either one or all of your sticks are bad.
Can you give some more detail on how you tested like which app you used. Also when you pulled the sticks out did you do it one at a time going down from say 4 to 3 and from 3 to 2 and so on? Did you boot up with the final stick installed and still get an error/bsod? If so it could that stick which is faulty. Ideally you need to swap sticks and just test one at a time making a note of each stick tested. You may find that one errors out when the others don't.
In any case post the dump files and we'll take a look..

Hi @kemical

Firstly thank you for taking the time to look into this problem for me.

Please find attached the requested dump file

I used (I think) memtest. I'm unable to remember the error thou. I have x4 4gb sticks of RAM so I pulled one stick at a time (leaving the other three sticks in-situ) but, only ever removing one stick and always leaving the other three insitu

Thank you again

Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff96000095332, fffff8800739d080, 0}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup: memory_corruption
---------
Hi,
all your dump files are the same and the above bugcheck is caused by an exception often by the graphics driver passing bad data. This bugcheck can also be linked to RAM issues and every single dump file mentions memory corruption.

First let's update your drivers.
If you go to your motherboard support page you'll find drivers available under Windows 7 64bit. Whilst they are not the latest versions they are better than the versions currently installed.
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-Z68AP-D3 (rev. 2.0)
Update everything including chipset, audio, network, USB and storage (intel rapid storage driver).

Remove this:
AppleCharger.sys Mon Jan 10 09:57:29 2011: GIGABYTE On/Off Charge driver. May cause BSOD on Win 7/8 systems - uninstall to test

Your gpu driver needs to be removed using this application:
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V15.7.5.2 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum
Run it in safe mode and it will remove all traces of previous graphic drivers.

Re-install using the latest WHQL driver for your set up:
Support & Drivers

Find command prompt, right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

If the bsod continues test your RAM again. Use memtest and test for at least 12hrs/overnight unless it errors out before the times up.
If it does error out then it probably means there is one or more faulty sticks and it might be worth testing them individually.

Post any new dump files.

Hi @kemical

Thank you for the detailed reply it is very much appreciated !!

OK, I have updated my drivers as detailed above
I've removed GIGABYTE On/Off
removed and reinstalled GPU driver as above
The SCF scan in CMD, showed no errors

But I'm still getting BSOD ?

I had previously pulled each RAM stick individually (always leaving three insitu) and still I got BSOD, Maybe it could be more than one RAM stick ?

I will run memtest tonight and advise.

Please find attached a updated bug report, anything I've missed ?

Last edited:
Code:

BugCheck 3B, {c000001d, fffff960000c5341, fffff880031f8e60, 0}

Hi,
same again although I can see the app being used at the time was something called keyscrambler? Is this like a malware app? If so it might be messing with Kaspersky?
You also need to update your audio and network drivers from the support page.

Find command prompt (start menu), right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

If you run memtest and it comes back with no errors then try running the driver verifier:
How do I fix a Blue Screen in Windows using Driver Verifier?

Post any new dump files

These were installed previously, do I need to reinstall them ?
I thought i saw a later date but if your sure you already have them then so be it.

Don't forget about running the sfc scan and if need be the verifier.

@kemical

I've previously run sfc scan with no errors

I've run memtest over night. On one test there was 33 errors !!

Lowest error address = 0028019116c - 10241.5mb
highest error address = 0020019116c - 10241.5mb
bits in error total = 1

Is there a way to find out which of the sticks this error relates to or do I pull one stick at a time and re-run memtest for a few nights ?

Is there a way to find out which of the sticks this error relates to or do I pull one stick at a time and re-run memtest for a few nights ?
It depends on how you bought the sticks I'd imagine. What I mean is, if you bought a four stick set then replace the set. Single sticks are hard to find especially if it's a particular brand or model. If however you bought two lot's of two then test each of the sets individually. If one set error's out but the other set doesn't then just replace that set of two.

Yes because these sets are matched in the factory. If the set you have is still under warranty I'd contact the place you bought them or the manufacturer and get a replacement.

@kemical

OK so I pulled one of the 4gb RAM sticks and ran memtest again. This time after 12 hours I got no errors showing with the three remaining sticks left instiu.

But today again Ive suffered another BSOD - any further advice from this dump ?

Last edited:
@kemical

OK so I pulled one of the 4gb RAM sticks and ran memtest again. This time after 12 hours I got no errors showing with the three remaining sticks left instiu.

But today again Ive suffered another BSOD - any further advice from this dump ?

So how do you know the stick you pulled out isn't the faulty one?

If you got errors whilst running memtest86 then your RAM is faulty.
Code:

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff960000d5332, fffff8800819c080, 0}

To be honest though just because Memtest didn't find any issues this time around doesn't actually mean your RAM is fine. It might simply be the case that memtest needed to be ran a lot longer.
You ideally need to test each stick individually to be sure. It's a pain i know but there isn't any way round it really.
These are exceptions taken from your last dump:

Code:
EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The memory could not be %s.

Code:
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_MEMORY_CORRUPTION_LARGE

Another possible culprit could be the PSU. If it's old or not quite up to the job then it can lead to bsod's. Can you post what your gpu set up is as well as the make and model of your PSU?

If the memory passes or if you'd rather try this first then run the driver verifier. I posted a guide above #6.

@kemical

OK I have run the driver verifier, this now causes windows to BSOD once fully loaded up. Please find attached crash report.

The first time I ran memtest was for 12 hours and I found 50 errors the second time (minus the faulty stick) again it ran for 12 hours but this time found no errors

Attachments

• W7F_07-04-2016.rar
    997.5 KB · Views: 286
Code:

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff88004855018, fffff8800af05ab0, 0}

Probably caused by : klif.sys ( klif+c018 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
I didn't see any dumps associated with the driver verifier but what you did get was bugcheck 3B blaming Kaspersky. In fact the last three dump files were the same. (any chance you can clear out the old dump files? You don't need to keep sending them too )

Try removing Kaspersky and using MSE as it's ultra stable. I did wonder before on removing your AV as from time to time they can all cause issues.
Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows
If the bsod continues then I would check your RAM individually or ask a friend if they have a spare set and see if running those produces a bsod.

@kemical

I've removed the AV and will see what happens.

DMP file attached from driver verifier (or something else you require ?)

Attachments

• Minidump.rar
    997.3 KB · Views: 331
Back