Windows 10 task host window

lilflwr24

I have windows 10 and lately when I try to shut down my computer this window pops up and says :
task host window

\microsoft\windows\DeviceDirectoryClient\RegisterUserDevice

shut down anyway or cancel

if you click on shut down anyway, it will not shot shut down. The only way to actually get the computer to shut down is to hold the button in and force shut down. I did find a temp fix by doing a system restore. But I should not have t do that in order to shut down my computer. Does anyone know what/why this is happening and how do
I fix it? Went to geek squad but they didn't even fix it. Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum :up:

Please provide hardware specs on the computer you are getting this error message on. Is it a desktop PC or a laptop/tablet? Is it an OEM PC (Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba)? Or is it a self-built PC or custom-built PC? If self-built or custom-built PC, please post Motherboard specs, GPU card specs, and PSU make/model and wattage.

If you don't have available, please go to piriform.com and download the free SPECCY DIAGNOSTIC. Download & install SPECCY and run it and post the resulting output text file back here to this thread by uploading a file. We can then take a look at your hardware environment and analyze it for possible failures.

Also, did your computer come with W10 pre-loaded from the factory or did you perform a recent upgrade from an earlier version of windows such as Win7 or Win8/8.1/8.1.1?

Task errors usually come from the svchost.exe program, which in turn link to hundreds of different .dll libraries and they can recursively call other library programs and so on. One of those could be causing your problem, but it's going to very difficult with the limited amount of information you've provided to us. I've never seen this particular error message and I've been working with W10 nearly 2 years.

While you are gathering your hardware specs, you can also take a look at your Event Viewer log and System Viewer log in Computer Management, and take a look at the most recent errors that are marked in Red during the last day or two. Then identify the name of the process and if possible the name of the company which owns that process. Such as NVidia, Realtek, etc. This can often result in identifying the name of the device or type of device that's causing the problem. Such as a GPU card/chip (Graphics), Network Adapter, etc.

You mentioned that System Restore seemed to help the problem temporarily, but then the problem reappeared correct? If this is the case, it's quite likely you suffered a driver corruption due to a bad update or from a virus/malware attack. Have you attempted to scan for viruses? If not, you should backup all your personal data to external media if you haven't already done so before proceeding. Next, use your primary AV program (Norton, Avast, McAfee, Windows Defender, etc.) and scan for viruses; remove all found. Retest. If problem persists you may have encountered a spyware virus. Download the free MALWAREBYTES antispyware from Malwarebytes.org. Scan/Remove any found spyware viruses and retest. If the problem abates, you fixed your problem by removing the virus(es)! :up:

If the problem is still there, we will make more specific recommendations based on your exact model of hardware, type of computer, etc. once you post that information back. One of us will get back to you and tell you what to do next.

Hang in there,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Here is the info i found on my computer, it is an all in one.
Also it was upgraded to 10 from 8.1 and geek squad did that for me.
Does this help?
Thanks

upload_2016-8-1_19-30-20.png

\microsoft\windows\DeviceDirectoryClient\RegisterUserDevice
= looking for a server

does this machine use a server at home | work for file storage or web hosting... it could be 12r2 bassed but Azure is where i see it most.

Has this problem been occurring since Geek Squad upgrade your computer to W10? Or did it start more recently as in the last couple of days or weeks?

Also, we still don't know much about your computer; can you at least tell us if it's a desktop PC or a laptop? What brand it is or did you build it yourself?

Have you tried rolling your system back using the built-in SYSTEM RESTORE feature in W10? What result did you get?

BBJ

Back