Windows 7 Temporary internet files

WatsonsHara

I used the temporary internet files very often on Windows XP. It was the easiest way for me to grab images, xml's, flv, swf, mp3's and go on and on. Now I have windows 7 (version 7137) and when I look in the TIF folder, there are no jpg's, no flv's, no swf's and so on.

I was wondering if those images (files) are maybe saved somewhere else?

I tried downloading programs that are specially made to grab images from the web, but I can't say that those programs are great replacements.

Thank you in advance!
Watsons

I run IE as an administrator (I changed in properties) and access temp internet files internet options.I save flash videos that way.
Joe

I just checked and the jpg's and all the other files do appear now. But it shows up very delayed and still not every jpg image appears in the temporary folder. I tried opening (IE) as administrator, but that unfortunitely didn't help.

Took me a while but I found them.

In Windows Explorer, go to Organize > Folder and Search Options. Click on the View tab and select "Show Hidden Files, folders and drives" and deselct "Hide protected operating system files"

Go to

"C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\"

In the location bar up top, click it and add Low\Content.IE5\

So in the location bar, it should look like this.
"C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5"

Under the Content.IE5 folder, you will find folder(s) that are random alphanumerical 8 character names. Inside those folders, you will find all the cached files.

If you do not deselect hide operating system files, you will not be able to browse to the folders with Windows Explorer. For whatever reason, Microsoft decided to permanently hide these folders and files. You will not see them unless you manually input them into the location bar. And you will not be able to input them unless you deselect that hide protected operating system files. Once I found the Content.IE5 folder, I created a shortcut on my desktop for it.

Alternatively, you can browse to those directories in the CMD prompt. But you will need to use the DIR /AH to display the hidden folders and files.

Last edited:
I have also set up the shortcut to content.ie5, thanks for the info.
Now how do I stop windows from popping up a security warning everytime I try to open one of the sub-folders?

I have also set up the shortcut to content.ie5, thanks for the info.
Now how do I stop windows from popping up a security warning everytime I try to open one of the sub-folders?

I haven't figured this one out yet. Still looking. But there is a fix that seems to work for some people if you want to try.

Add your computer name and ip address into the local intranet sites. You can also try and set the security to low for local intranet as well. This didn't work for me.

Last edited:
Using the Zeeman28a offered, I can access the ~\Low\Content.IE5 folder either at the command-line or in the browser. But that is as far as I can get. I have some very large files out there that I want to remove. But they do not get deleted when I use the "Delete browser history" from IE nor can I find any other way to remove them. I am currently running IE9 and have never run IE5 on this computer (which is interesting to me that they continue to use that folder name). This is a Win7 x64 laptop.

Ideas and suggestions of how to resolve this are welcome. Thanks.

Back