Windows 7 Text document error: make sure a disk is in the drive you specified

Haris

Hi.
I have a text file on my portable hard disk (WD 250 GB) named urgenttttttttttt.txt
you would have already assumed how important this file would be and it is updated daily. The size of the file is 545 kb which is HUGE for a notepad. I opened the file 3 days ago and it gives me an error:

"cannot open the K:\Mainnnnnnnnnnn\usb\urgenttttttttttt.txt file
make sure a disk is in the drive you specified"

There are many text documents in my hard disk and many even in the same folder but every document is fine but there is a problem in this particular file. I recovered this file using shadow explorer but the recovered file is 518kb in size and many new things i wrote in the notepad are GONE. I have some private text in the document or i would have uploaded it on some site for you. I am unable to copy or move this file to other folders.

There is another error related to this, I deleted an iso file that was in the same portable hard disk by mistake (even from recycle bin) and tried to recover it using "disk digger" (best recovery software for huge files!!). But I get an error which I have never seen before..

"There was an error while reading from the disk: Data error (Cyclic Redundancy error). How would you like to proceed" and no option works out.

I searched google for this error and i came to know that it comes from a bad spot on the hard drive and the bad spot would be because of the same urgenttttttttttt.txt file. Please Help.

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried wordpad and LTFViewer but both failed and I know that it's a hard drive error. I am gonna check jfile recovery as well as spinrite.

Do you know the drive letter of the external drive has not changed? Have you added or do you have any other external drives or flashdrives installed?

Did you save the file from within Notepad?

If Pat agrees, you might think about running chkdsk, it is supposed to help recover corrupted files. The downside might be in this circumstance, that it might hurt more than help if it can't recover it correctly.

Is the name of the file really as you show or are you using a Bluetooth Keyboard?:)

Last edited:
Problem is solved thanks to jfile recovery. it recovered 95% of the file. Thanks for your concern.
I had other USB's and The drive letter usually changed like sometimes it was K: or G:.
Chkdsk have more -ve effects than +ve that's why I downloaded SpinRite and I am going to use it to prevent future errors.
And for the file name, Iiiii lykeeeeeee tooooooooo havvvv funnnnnn widdddddd fileeeeesssssss!!! :razz:

Try assigning the drive a specific letter to external rather than letting Windows do it when you connect it. I've got notepad files over 600kb and never had any problem with them.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom