Windows 10 Text to Speech not working in 10049?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I've said that Cortana doesn't talk in this build in other posts, but I decided to see if it was Cortana or something more basic.

I opened the native Windows text to speech software and discovered that there is no audible speech working there either.

I wondered if anyone has the Windows text to speech working in this build?

If it does work for some people, then what would cause it to not work on my computer.
Would it be related to sound drivers?

My own text to speech software (Text Aloud) works fine, I can even use it with the Microsoft voices that Windows would be using if it was working.

Mike

This is quite interesting Mike. I think you read my post on how Cortana failed during my Win10 presentation this week?

Sonny had posted a good idea on one of our 10049 threads, that he called Microsoft Tech Support, and received free help from them on his problems. They apparently have Techs there dedicated to help Win10 Insiders with installation issues. You might consider calling them.

Also, what about calling the speech software (TEXT ALOUD) support people? You can ask them whether or not they've tested their program with Win10 (any build) or not? You can also ask them if their product supports Win8.1 audio drivers. If it does, then the problem is probably not with their code, but rather with Win10 itself; possibly the 10049 build code.

Just a couple of ideas until someone else with speech/voice recognition also tests out his stuff on 10049.

Best,
Marc

I just got off the phone with another problem that I could not install word preview. They could not fix it but told me if I could live with it that Build 10051 would be coming out next week. I am not going to hold them to that but I hope they are right. It seems a lot has been fixed in the next build according to them.

Hi

Well at least it isn't only me! LOL

Marc.

I'm not having any problems with Text Aloud, it works fine, that's why I wondered why the native Microsoft one doesn't work.
I can use the Microsoft voices in it and it still works.

I guess we'll just have to do as Sonny suggests and wait for the next build.

I'd really like to have Cortana talking again.
It just isn't the same if you have to read her jokes.

Mike

I hope she starts working again in the next build.

The main use I have for her now is that I created a music list with over 10 hours of music.
Now if I say Hey Cortana play my music, she starts and plays them at random, so I never know what's going to come up.

Here's one that blew my mind though.

Yesterday my computer popped up a message that said that my friend Kieth in Scotland has his birthday today.
Now the only thing I have on my computer relating to him, is a entry in my Skype contacts list.

I don't know if this is a Windows 10 thing or a new feature of Skype?
But it sure surprised me.

Mike

Crazy! That's why Cortana is a woman; she's Moody! LOL. When I disassembled my Test PC (desktop) and took the SSD drive out to use in my laptop, I rebooted onto Drive #1, which had Build 9926 on it. It started randomly rebooting and the next thing I know Tech Preview window comes up and Win10 updates itself to 10049!--probably cause I signed up for Fast Ring. AND, Cortana started talking to me again--after my Wife apologized to her for what she said about her! LOL.
Now she's telling me Jokes again, and the weather, and listens to my requests. CRAZY!! She *Cortana* could also be shy, as she clammed up in front of the 25 people at my Presentation like Mr. Data turning himself off.

On the last one, if you are logged into to Win10 with your Windows Live ID, Win10 *and Cortana* has access to any Calendars you may have such as the OneDrive Calendar, Google Calendar, etc. if you have them linked or ever did an Contacts import; which I have done a number of times. I think it's more likely that this is how you got the Calendar reminder. I've recently worked on a Skype project which required me to completely reinstall Skype, latest version 7.2.0.103, on both my Desktop and my Laptop; I didn't get any such messages from Skype or Win10/Cortana.

Saltgrass mentioned he had tested 10051 last week, and 10056 during this week--he gets them sooner than even us Fast Ring peoples, so maybe he's got an inside Track to M$. He's promised to let us know if Cortana is more Stable or not among other things. He seems to be about 1-2 weeks ahead of us on Build releases. Which is kind of Cool, since we can just ask him on here!

Well, of to go do stuff.
Talk to you soon!
<<Marc>>

Hi

This morning I gave up on my Sound Blaster Card and switched to my on board Realtech audio.

This is after my sound went off again and when I tried to do the uninstall the sound card and reboot thing found that my sound card was no longer shown or detected, even after rebooting several times and trying to use the install software.

I'm happy to say that this caused my custom sounds to start working again, so the sound card does seem to be the problem.

However it didn't make Cortana start talking again.

Well at least that's progress.

I don't really notice any difference in the sound, so maybe next time I buy a computer I'll skip the sound card.

Mike

Last edited:
I wish MS would work on their speech to text dictation feature. That hasn't been upgraded in several versions.

Back
Top Bottom