Windows Vista The Dreaded Error 10061

Fred44

My wife and I have separate e-mail accounts and we have an intermittant problem of this error message popping up when we log on to our e-mail.
(The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E).

Sometimes it effects both of our accounts...sometimes just one. So far rebooting the computer has resolved the problem I've Googled this and there are MANY complaints about this same issue with Vista (often with Norton Security involved). One day I called my ISP and they told me to turn off Norton. This solved the problem that time, but today I turned off the e-mail scanning and it did not help (I didn't turn off all functions as before, however). From what I can gather Norton seems to be the likely suspect. Some people were advised to download Avast and turn off the e-mail scanner in that application, but isn't it advisable to have one's e-mails scanned for security purposes? Vista doesn't have a built in e-mail scanner from what I've been told (on this forum, I believe). At this point, rebooting seems to be the solution but I'd like to resolve the problem once and for all. I guess I'm lucky in that regard, as some said that rebooting didn't help. One person said she dumped Norton and installed Avast (I believe) and that solved her problem. The really weird part to me is that it will effect one of our accounts, but not the other. Any suggestions?

Fred

Hi Fred,

to be a little blunt, I'd dump the norton and use AVG instead AVG Free - Download antivirus and antispyware software for Windows XP and Vista (this has a free version or one you can pay for with slightly more features).

You really do need something to scan your e-mails as they come in and further reading can be found here:
TweakGuides.com - The TweakGuides Tweaking Companion

The link is for the 'Tweakguides Vista companion' which you can either pay for or download the free copy as the difference is tiny... I cannot recommend reading this guide enough! It has sections on anti-virus which I snipped a little out to show you so check the screenshot.
You'll need a pdf reader to view the guide, one can be found here:
Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions

Post back if you need further help.....:)

It says Norton..."Virtually impossible to remove"???. I think I asked before, but when my 60 days is up I wonder if I'll still have trouble getting rid of this thing. You mentioned a Norton uninstaller. Can you recommend one? thanks.

Fred

Hi Fred,

I did a little googling and found this link:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

this is just one of the links I found so if it doesn't work, try googling..

Enjoy the guide..:)

It says Norton..."Virtually impossible to remove"???. I think I asked before, but when my 60 days is up I wonder if I'll still have trouble getting rid of this thing. You mentioned a Norton uninstaller. Can you recommend one? thanks.

Fred
I've never had a problem getting "Norton Antivirus" out. This my second year using the software. (Go to the Norton Website and look up the "Removal Tool" for the specific software and year that you have.) Instructions are very clear. If you pick up anything, and Norton traps it, you would have to completely re-install your software. Otherwise you won't be able to download. The software may have been injured and portions don't work correctly. (I think the way they confine the virus or trojan sends out a flag that your machine is infected when it is not- that's what I think)

Back