Windows 8 "The drive where Windows is installed is locked.Unlock the drive and try again."

Hi,
check your machines support page for updates. I'd check everything, Bios, firmware updates and drivers:
http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=3478714

Running the system file checker may also help. Right click in the left hand corner of the desktop and click admin cmd prompt, type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.
Thank you for your reply. There are no updates on Toshiba's website. I can't get to the desktop, but I can access cmd through the recovery disks, but I'm not sure how to get an admin cmd prompt. Can you please tell me how to do that?

This sort of sounds like some type of virus might be involved. A couple of years ago I had one that changed the name of one of the boot files and stopped the system from booting. That was before Windows 8 but if you gave something permission, it might have been able to change something.

I'm not saying that it's not possible that I have a virus, but I am a bit OCD about it, so it's unlikely since I run regular daily scans, deep weekly scans, and am very careful about what I do on the internet.

Did you check and make sure a Windows Boot Manger entry was the primary boot device in the bios? If it is trying to boot directly to the hard drive, it will not fine an OS.

I am not sure how to do this...can you please tell me how?

Not really a good assumption since the Drive number is basically set by the connection to the Motherboard. The Drive priority is set in the bios, and the OS could be on either one, but probably not the empty one, if it is empty. If as drive shows as uninitialized, something has been removed from the drive's configuration data and Windows cannot read it. It may not be empty, so be careful. As an example, a drive cleaned with diskpart will show as uninitialized and the following is what Diskpart will do to a GPT configured drive.

This makes me feel a bit better and I'll tell you that I am trying to be very cautious because I do not want to do more damage and risk losing anything more. I believe that I haven't done any troubleshooting that would change anything (only looking for information to help so far).

I will have to do some research to see if there might be a way to recovery data from an uninitialized drive. There may be some third party utilities which would recreate the drives configuration, but I am not aware of one right now.

As far as the original thread and the locked drive message, I have not seen that and do not know of specifics circumstances involved in such an event.

I must say that I am frustrated with Toshiba. The laptop is under warranty, but they will not honor that without me paying $160 to troubleshoot it first...WHAT?!?

I am on my way to purchase a drive enclosure to see if I can access anything from another computer (fingers crossed).

BTW, I do remember doing some windows updates within the last couple of days, but I did reboot immediately after and a couple of other times since then and didn't run into trouble until this.

More information about my computer: I did notice that this laptop started with Windows 8, not Windows 7 like I thought. It is a Toshiba Qosmio X875-Q7390, part # PSPLZU-003002. I don't see any recent updates or BIOS updates since October when Windows 8 came out (I'm also kinda OCD about making sure everything is updated on my computer =) ).

Hi,
to get to safe mode in windows 8 is slightly different to other windows os. If you click on the settings charm, then change pc settings, Update and Recovery,Recovery, Advanced Start up, Troubleshoot, Advanced options and then finally Start up settings.

Hi,
to get to safe mode in windows 8 is slightly different to other windows os. If you click on the settings charm, then change pc settings, Update and Recovery,Recovery, Advanced Start up, Troubleshoot, Advanced options and then finally Start up settings.
Thank you for your reply, but again, I can't get to the desktop (charm that you mentioned is not on the recovery disc). The only access I have is by using the recovery disc. I do not see an option on the recovery disc to allow me to enter safe mode. Am I missing something?

Oh bugger I should have realised, apologies.. This web page explains how it might be possible the 'old' way (method 1) but see what you think:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/open-advanced-startup-options-windows-8.htm
Ha! No worries. Yes, those are the methods that I have been using, but you mentioned safe mode (or safe boot), which I cannot find as an option. I apologize for being vague and not giving you the exact options that are listed, but I don't have access to the computer right now. I will get back to you asap. Thank you for continuing to try to help...this has not been a good time for me. I know the old sayings about backing up, so I thank everyone here for not saying them again and telling me what an idiot I am (believe me, I've already told myself that many times...I really do know better).

The problem was that my cloud storage filled up and I wanted to move the files to my external backup drive, but it has been acting flaky lately (was disappearing from This PC in Windows Explorer like it was going to sleep and the only way I could wake it was to reboot my computer), so I temporarily moved them to my desktop about a day before this happened, believing that was the safer option. There were some really important documents related to my mother's estate and some other equally important personal records that I cannot replace. I just started a new (low paying job) today after a long period of unemployment and do not have the $500 and up price that I was quoted today to recover this drive. I am PRAYING that I can figure something else out. Otherwise, I will have to hope that I can live without the files until I can afford to pay the $500 ransome =)

Just so you will know, I am currently trying to recover a drive marked as Uninitialized. If I am successful, I will post the process in a couple of hours, it is taking a while to scan the entire drive. Just don't do anything drastic until I get it finished.

I thank you for your continued help! I took the drive to a local recovery shop that suggested it would cost me $500 (out of the question for me financially, but a girl can hope for a lower price, right?) and they offered a free evaluation, so I thought I had nothing to lose. They left a message for me today that said it was an easier fix than they thought and it would only cost me $2450.00! HA! I called back and told them I would be picking up the disk, but they informed me that it had been mailed off somewhere for the eval. Now, I have to wait until sometime Monday for it to be mailed to me. I really hope that there is some solution for me that doesn't cost me a fortune.

I was finally able to recover an install after having cleaned the drive with Diskpart. The process takes multiple steps and boots and can be a little intimidating.

If your problem is the OS being on the Uninitialized drive and the boot cannot see the install, the chances of a new install are high.

Right now, I am assuming your system is configured as UEFI, but that needs to be verified.

Any process used to try to recover the drive could lead to a loss of all data... something to think about in case there may be another way.

I am looking at the specifications for that model, or at least I think so, and it shows 2, 1 TB hard drives, one of which is a hybrid. I have seen some comments as to locked drives being associated with RAID type operations. As far as I know the hybrid drive does not use any RAID configuration, but there may be some utility associated with its operation.

I do see a Toshiba HDD Protection item listed with the Software and Utilities. You might see if it could be involved.

It also shows the system has a Impact Sensor. Do you remember dropping or causing the system to believe it was dropped?

It shows also as having a 30 day trial of Norton's Anti-theft... any chance it is involved?

Have you addressed the question to the Toshiba forum?

I was finally able to recover an install after having cleaned the drive with Diskpart. The process takes multiple steps and boots and can be a little intimidating.

If your problem is the OS being on the Uninitialized drive and the boot cannot see the install, the chances of a new install are high.

Right now, I am assuming your system is configured as UEFI, but that needs to be verified.

Any process used to try to recover the drive could lead to a loss of all data... something to think about in case there may be another way.
I do believe that it is UEFI, but how can I verify? Keep in mind that I don't currently have the drive, so please be patient with me...I just received a FedEx email saying I would receive it by 8pm Monday (Central time)

I am looking at the specifications for that model, or at least I think so, and it shows 2, 1 TB hard drives, one of which is a hybrid. I have seen some comments as to locked drives being associated with RAID type operations. As far as I know the hybrid drive does not use any RAID configuration, but there may be some utility associated with its operation.

I do see a Toshiba HDD Protection item listed with the Software and Utilities. You might see if it could be involved.

It also shows the system has a Impact Sensor. Do you remember dropping or causing the system to believe it was dropped?

It shows also as having a 30 day trial of Norton's Anti-theft... any chance it is involved?

Have you addressed the question to the Toshiba forum?

Yes, this computer does have two 1TB drives and the OS is installed on the one that's the hybrid (that's the one I'm having trouble with). I do believe that I have seen the Toshiba HDD Protection, but I don't know that I've ever done anything with it. As far as the impact sensor, I did not drop the laptop, but it did seem especially touchy, because just regular typing on a desk would sometimes cause a small box in the upper right corner that would say something about detected movement I think. I can't remember the exact message, but it happened several times a month or more, I would say. It never caused a crash before, though. And I don't remember a message before this problem, although my Windows Media Center did freeze first, so maybe that prevented me from seeing the message.

As far as the Norton trial, that is always one of the first things I remove with a new computer and this was no exception. I always immediately remove trialware, make a restore disc, install a new antivirus, and do all updates.

I have not used any other forums...I did a google search of the problem which brought me here. Should I cross-post somehow or start fresh? Where would you suggest I post.

Wow, I can't get over how helpful you all are! And I still can't believe I haven't been torn apart for my lack of multiple backups! I can't thank everyone enough for trying to help!

I did find the following link... seems like fun to check your system. It may not help, but you never know. You will of course need the primary drive installed. I might think about removing the other one until this is cleared up.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/troubleshootSelfService?PRDTYPE=COMPUTERS
I used this link on my other computer, answered the questions, and it said that repairs were required. I cannot run it on the laptop with the problem because I cannot get past the no bootable disc screen unless I am using the recovery disc, which also does not allow me to access that link. Thanks for trying, though. Keep the ideas coming, everyone! I'm willing to try just about anything.

Just so you will know, I am currently trying to recover a drive marked as Uninitialized. If I am successful, I will post the process in a couple of hours, it is taking a while to scan the entire drive. Just don't do anything drastic until I get it finished.
Take your time...I will not have the drive back until sometime Monday anyway. And thank you!

Back
Top Bottom