Windows 10 the frickin' GWXUX...

sammytruck

I have windows 8.1 and am quite happy with it. Don't want to upgrade to the "free" Windows 10.

But getting a bit po'd about the GWXUX cropping up on every re-start. (no hurry to get win10).

Don't give me some crazy amount of steps to get rid of it. Is their a REG to just kill it...??? (or some simple regedit steps) to get rid of this for good?

Run this:

Read the instructions carefully first.

Attachments

• Windows10BlockerHider.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 230
Ok... I ran both those .bat's in that zip file. I still get the GWXUX after several reboots.

It's not a big deal. Just click on "close program" takes care of it. Just a bit annoyed with that dumb icon in my system-tray.

I don't mess with trying to uninstall KB updates and the like. When I see the icon in the System Tray (because MS keeps re-installing it), I go into C:\Windows\System32, find the GWX folder and rename it. After a reboot, the icon will no longer be in the System Tray. I then go back and delete the renamed GWX folder.

Works for me.

I tried to uninstall KB:3035583 but couldn't, of course. So I figured I would try an administrative CMD window command, and got a blatant lie. They sneakily moved the GWX folder somewhere else, and changed registry locations too, and search of course doesn't find it. When I typed WUSA /UNINSTALL /KB:3035583 in CMD,it ran the uninstaller, but loved seeing the dos uninstaller window saying the update isn't there, directly under the installed updates window showing that it is

Attachments

• is it or isn't it.jpg
    is it or isn't it.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
I found this on another website. Maybe this works.

There’s also a registry hack that you can use to prevent the icon from showing up.

Open up regedit.exe using the Start search or by hitting WIN + R and pasting it into the field. Then browse down to the following key, creating it if it doesn’t exist:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx

ximg_55731b805b152.png.pagespeed.ic.bkqcjA9GJ9.webp

Once you are there, create a new 32-bit DWORD value on the right-hand side named DisableGwx, and give it a value of 1.

I tried to uninstall KB:3035583 but couldn't, of course. So I figured I would try an administrative CMD window command, and got a blatant lie. They sneakily moved the GWX folder somewhere else, and changed registry locations too, and search of course doesn't find it. When I typed WUSA /UNINSTALL /KB:3035583 in CMD,it ran the uninstaller, but I got this:
I finally decided the best course was a clean install, with careful avoidance of the 3035583 nightmare altogether. When they get the bugs out then I'll reconsider. I don't like losing my games, my menus, checking for updates or losing my privacy. jus' sayin'

I tried to uninstall KB:3035583 but couldn't, of course. So I figured I would try an administrative CMD window command, and got a blatant contradiction. They moved the GWX folder somewhere else, and changed registry locations too, search of course couldn't find it. When I typed WUSA /UNINSTALL /KB:3035583 in CMD,it ran the uninstaller, but I got an error window saying it wasn't there,

If you already have the "Get Windows 10" icon in you're system tray... download and run "GWX_control_panel.exe". Worked great for me.

Back
Top Bottom